START OF "THUMPER" BALER SPLITTER/ Flying cutting wheels

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're going to use a Honda engine and belt drive with the kill switch mounted by the operator, you will have the fly wheel clutch slippage in event of a non split. With the sliding shield attached to the ram no hands, arm or other body parts can be exposed to the splitting chamber, as the shield returns the stick will fall in via gravity feed ramp.

I do like the sound of the guards and the gravity feed. How will the kill switch stop the ram when you still have the flywheel going around? My baler cycles at least a dozen times after I shut off the PTO while the flywheel coasts down.

That machine in the video' I think would be rated in the top 5 dangerous splitters I've seen. There is no way I would operate that thing. No way! I hope you build yours a lot safer.

I'll have to devise a way to trip the safety which will stop any movement, at least thats the way it work on my Massey 124 that we bale with.

theres an old splitter at a farm museum near me that works on the same principle. a big flyweel and a drive shaft coming from it pushing a wedge that slides along a guide of sorts. it was set up vertically. it was noy operational, but cool all the same. off the same shaft that drove the flywheel was a pulley that ran a belt that ran a circular saw. like a cordwood saw that goes on the back of a tractor. neat rig really. except it was powered by steam, i wonder how much of its production it consumed?

I am a very safety minded person, when you see the finishes product you will see the guards that will keep it from endangering limbs.

Should be a cool build. How about some safety glasses on young son? How would you feel if the shrapnel from that cutting disk went through his eye?

Looking forward to the transformation.

Don

I am a very safety minded person,

QUOTE]
do what Don said then, get some eye protection on that young man ! Especially after that wheel blew up ? I felt just as bulletproof when I was younger, it took a screwdriver in my eyeball to wise me up. :( Forgot to add my 2 cents on the splitter/baler - The only way to make this machine 'safe' is not make it at all. All those moving parts, all that inertia, and no way to stop it? Then, someones got to just about reach inside it every few seconds? Get your 2 cents a pound scrap for the baler & buy or build a splitter. You & your family will be a lot better off.

Last edited:
That was scary to watch!!!!!

Almost as bad as the woodtick with the big flywheel mounted blade!

:agree2:

You definitely need to add allot more safety features then that guy has.
Get your glove caught, a piece of wood doesn't go in properly or your a little slow and squish there goes your hand and your arm.

Scars are cool and all...

Scars are cool and all but I've got to take the safety glasses comment a little further.

How about some gloves and a face shield to somewhat complete the safety ensemble. Lead by example.

GET THE PROPER GEAR FOR YOU AND YOUR SON THEN USE IT EVERY TIME!!

I don't have an audience most of the time and I always wear safety glasses in and around the shop... Yep I ponied up last year for some chaps too... not much need for them around the shop though.

Why you ask?? Because I've seen what can happen first hand. As the screen name implies I've been in the fire service for close to 20 years. I've seen far too many people get really messed up or dead because they didn't take a second to consider safety!

Come up with some other way to split wood. The video of that thing you're going to build was painful to watch!!!

Easy, Easy just after the photo was taken, he was given a lecture on wearing the safety glasses I had just bought him two nights before. He now make sure he has them on whether cutting wood, working with metal etc. It's something that I'm going to have to reenforce just like putting on a seat belt every time.
I really proud of him, A/B honor roll, pissed if he makes a B. Mows yard during the summer, sold wood this winter and is also plowing gardens this spring, he can safely run any piece of equipment on the farm and is now learning to weld and run the metal lathe, he just turned 15 and is a freshman. He's active in FFA and plays on the freshman and JV basketball team.
He will also be wearing gloves in future post.

Thanks for the concern guys, I appreciate you all taking the time to point it out.

I like the idea

I have seen the video before and it made think what a cool but dangerous idea. I have often thought about building one but with a couple of mods.

1. I would make it so after the wood is split it would be pushed out the end of the bailer by the next split.

2. Instead of a 2 way wedge a 4 or 6 way wedge to minimize resplits or maybe something like what is used on the cord king processors (might have a problem with the amount of power provide versus required

3. Enclose the splitting chamber and allow the wood to be fend is from the side off some type chute, this should make it a lot safer to operate

Good luck

I do like the sound of the guards and the gravity feed. How will the kill switch stop the ram when you still have the flywheel going around? My baler cycles at least a dozen times after I shut off the PTO while the flywheel coasts down.

Yes, and if you look at the original design it only has to exert force at the end of its stroke as it toggles over top dead center. It only compresses a bale one flake at a time. Splitting wood you are going to be asking it to exert the most force when the crank throw is at near 90 degrees and has the least mechanical advantage. Put the time, energy and material into a splitter design that is tried and proven. The first block that goes cross ways will make such a jam you will have to burn it out! Pulling the flywheel over by hand (after you replace the shear pin) to back up the ram and dig out hay flakes is fun enough, let alone wood!:mad:

I say go for it !!!! I think its a cool idea and so what if it doesn't work as planned or it gets jammed up. I am sure you will have lots of fun building it with your son and he will learn a lot as you go. Please keep us posted as I have my eye on an old hay baler

Back