started the hickory pile today!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiting-5

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
well had some time today so cruised over to the hickory pile today :clap: couple of things i learned today

1... the pile is huge
2... you can get alot of wood out of some big rounds
3... and third im so out of shape its pitiful:mad:

talked to my buddy today he has a 10 wheel dumptruck anda trac hoe with a thumb i think i will be pursuing that option besides he can haul to my vacant property and dump there then can bust at my leisure.

HOLY POOP:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: that is a mother load of wood!!! I don't think ten OWB could use that pile in three years!:jawdrop:

I know there is alot of big rounds in that pile but if I were you I would find the smaller ones like 8-10 inches and under that dont need splitting and load them first. Then I would work up to the bigger rounds. You might be out of shape but in no time you will be up to par.

You will learn how to get the best out of your time there. Are you going to sell the wood? If you are going to sell it I would find a lot where you can stack it to be seasoned and avertise on the same place. You might want to ask your friend can you put a few cords there to sell.

Well nice pile you have there to work out on. When I go cut wood or sell wood I call it going to work out in my gym.

Don't sell that as ordinary firewood. Restaurants will pay a premium for hickory. Got a fellah near me who gets $300 a cord. I don't know what his profit is, mind you. He supplies restaurants in about 4 states hereabouts.

Don't sell that as ordinary firewood. Restaurants will pay a premium for hickory. Got a fellah near me who gets $300 a cord. I don't know what his profit is, mind you. He supplies restaurants in about 4 states hereabouts.
That stuff rt there is my jan. feb. wood. when temps are in the teens you need good wood to get a twelve hr burn.

That's a nice score! I've never burnt hickory but I'd love to get my hands on some seein' how everyone speaks so highly of it.

Holy hickory batman! I wish I had that much, I started burning my hickory this past week (< 32F temps, 17F when I woke up this morning) night before last the house got upto 82F lol! It is good stuff!

Enjoy man!

Tes

well it got cold last night here well cold for us first night in the teens the hickory is great roasty toasty all night i tried to split stuff that i knew had been sittin awhile. the funny thing is at this mill where the scraps sticks come out there was 3 trucks waitin for them you should have seen there jaws drop when i pulled out.not worried about them cuttinin on my action they where lazy type just lookin for the quick score .... they probally couldnt buy a hand saw betwwen the 3

We have some hickory for the 09/10 season, about 1/2 a cords worth. I figure I am going to use it only in jan/feb overnight burns, a few pieces mixed with my maple/cherry/yellow birch.

That is a good score, though.

Back