Static line for secured footlock.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrRecurve

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What static line should I be using as a secured footlock line? Do I need to find a rock climbing line or is there a suitable arb specific line that I can use? It would be purely for access, not for work positioning.

Thanks in advance.

There's a good number of them. New England MKIII is great. I particularly love 7/16" Stable Braid, but you have to special order that. Velocity is as close to static as a true static line as is Petzl's Vector. Then the caving ropes, they're mostly static, but tend to be stiff. Those are all 11 mm choices.

I don't climb on 13 mm anymore, but back in the day my fave was 1/2" Stable Braid. After a year or so I'd retire it to a lowering line.

By the way, your thread title is about static line for footlocking, but you say you'll be using is for access only, not work positioning. This is a contradiction. Can you explain what it is you are intending to do, exactly?

Thought his post was self explanatory. I use one from Wesspur. Believe it is a samson rope. Works pretty good. As well I have hurd lots of good things about the KMIII.

y not use only 1 rope

i use sampson velocity works great 4 all my needs. i like 2 use 5/8 for lowering:clap:

velocity is my main climbing line, I was after something with less stretch to increase the efficiency of my footlock ascents.

velocity is very low strech

MrRecurve said:
velocity is my main climbing line, I was after something with less stretch to increase the efficiency of my footlock ascents.
velocity is great i dont know of any work positioning life line that has less stretch maby blaze but not sure. good luck with that try a winch line. they dont stretch much at all. exercise is a good way 2 increase your foot lock. with the amount of stretch in velocity this should not be a problem 4 u:yoyo:

Yea velocity is the one.

I have a samson 11mm static and have done a lot of footlocking on static lines but dont really like them ha. I get saw feet and knees on long ascents.

WLL you should try readin the post before you respond. He said a static line for ascent not work positioning. Velocity is not a full static line, so energy is still lost.

Actually, he said static line for access which is why I questioned what his needs were. I wasn't sure whether he needed a static line as an access line or whether he needed a static line solely to access the canopy, which would make it a lifeline. There is a difference between an access line and a life line. Also, there was no mention of why recurve feels the need for a static line, just an asking of which one he should use. Then asking if he should find a rock climbing rope made me question it further as rock climbing ropes are inherently dynamic, just as caving ropes are inherently static.

If he's talking about a lifeline purely for access, then we're taliking about recreational ascent, which means this thread is in the wrong forum. I assumed commercial climbing because that's the forum we're in, which is why I asked for more clarification. If we're all here to help it's best to fully understand the nature of the question.

Blaze is not even close to static. It's a really good rope, but it's a stretchy line like Fly.

they're good for climbing, but be careful when your coming down. I was short a pair of gloves and when I came repelling down I got some wicked blisters on my fingers.:eek:

Back