step cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm no pro but...

What if the line snaps and the tree fall backwards? Seems to be alot of stress on the line especially pulling with a bobcat.

Donnie

I could be wrong but I think I've seen you use the step cut in other situations. It makes sense here but are there other applications for it in your opinion?

it works well to avoid having to make a flush cut and handle the resulting round, while still keeping the notch up above the trunk flare.. often times there is plenty of leverage, so the round splits in half. This leaves a much smaller "half-round" to handle, which usually go through the chipper as long as its less than 17" high and 21" wide..

The other reason to use this cut is to keep the fall fused. It takes a lot of pull to break the step, so no way wind is going to trip the fall. That leaves it easy for the faller to get out of the area before calling for the pull, and could work well, when falling trees solo...

What if the line snaps and the tree fall backwards? Seems to be alot of stress on the line especially pulling with a bobcat.

Donnie

Although I've not yet experienced a snapped pulling line, I do it just a bit differently, mostly because I do not have a machine to pull. The main pulling line is tied off to a port-a-wrap, then we pull it over with a second rope in a five to one mechanical advantage pulley system. Having the main line tied off gives me some peace of mind that nothing will go backwards.

Mucho kudos to Murph on the video. I like any idea which makes stumping easier!

you do good tree work murphy but that looks like the most ridiculously contrived cut I've ever seen...Whatever happened to a simple notch, backcut, throw a few wedges in so it doesn't sit back... and give it a pull and down she goes...these plunge cuts have gone absolutly viral! Some of you guys just love 'em....like you're not cutting properly if you don't use one. However cutting the guts out of your face cut is very useful...epsecially if you're cutting a big one...

not here

I have use the bore cut on numorius trees before and it does work well. I dont have much in the way of a need for the step cut however I can see the usefullness in it. If I was a stumper I would greatly appretiate this type of cut. In the vast national forest There is not much call for a step cut. We also use the 5-1 pully system using a Diestal hitch to the pull line. this way we can tighten up the 5-1, tie off the pull line, move your hitch knot up the pull line and tighten the 5-1 again if more pull is needed. go back in and touch the trigger on the bore cut and she comes down every time.
Marc

Could you please let me know what a "Step Cut" is.
The only thing I can think of is that it looks like a step(tread/riser) after the tree is down.
What is the purpose? Easier stump removal?
I understand the reason to cut out the hinge on one side.
You did a good job.
That tree must have had a very big lean towards the house.

how much time do you save doing that ridiculous looking cut as oppsed to bucking down the stump lower after you've felled it? Plus is seems there is more room for f ups as you're relying on the hinge wood as well as the wood holding the step, not to mention all the plunge cuts. I dare you to post this one on the logging forum.

It makes sense here but are there other applications for it in your opinion?[/QUOTE]

Lets say you have a film crew,skid steer,a rope you want to shock load and a bunch of free time on your hands, perfect for the step cut. Isn't this a snap cut with a conventional face anyway, nothing new . Seems like you made a really simple task overly complicated.
Most of the vids you post emphasize speed and efficiency, this isn't one of them.

It makes sense here but are there other applications for it in your opinion?

Lets say you have a film crew,skid steer,a rope you want to shock load and a bunch of free time on your hands, perfect for the step cut. Isn't this a snap cut with a conventional face anyway, nothing new . Seems like you made a really simple task overly complicated.
Most of the vids you post emphasize speed and efficiency, this isn't one of them.[/QUOTE]

You said it. But I think he may have been showing a specific situation and if he would of implied from the beginning that this may be an option, then I understand. I like Murph and dont know him but I know he means well.
Jeff :)

Donnie

Yeppers, I seen that happen once, they got real lucky tho, when the line snapped, the tree rocked back towards the house, the hinge wood held and it settled back into position. They retied, put a back up on (the "just in case" line). Then they got it over. I was pretty nervous for them! I garunteeee, that the Saw operator had too change his shorts! This was a BIG Silver Maple, about 5 ft from the back of the house.
Ever since I seen that, I, when pulling over sumtin big and scary, I always have the back up. Although, I dont see me using that detailed of a cut, it was a good drop, pretty accurate, next to that side walk!
Murph, you got little money wrapped up in those mats dont ya!! I used to have a few(stolen) Cost me about 225 a piece, u had more than a few, u around the same price?

I perused this thread and left it alone cuz I had no idea what you were talkin about. Now that Ive seen the video, I must say that technique looks dangerous, and quite unnessesary. Ive never seen anyone Ive ever worked with pull anything like that before. Honestly, what is the point of cutting like that? Seems like a good way to get a log to go sideways if somethin goes wrong.

If you trying to save having to do the flush cut for grinding why not just make the notch/scarf at ground level and bring the finishing cut into the bottom of the notch? presto....no stump cut...AND no finishing cut with your little dance off to the chipper with that piece (that you dropped that you had the chipper all set up for the camera shot :hmm3grin2orange:).

Silly silly stuff.:hmm3grin2orange: nothing revolutionary here as usual. This from an arb with WAY more experience than mr. Murphy.

LMAO!!!
This doesn't have to be posted in the logging section to make fun of. In the real world, a stepcut is a facecut, not some wizzbang way of making extra work on the backside of a tree. Must be some perversion of a Scandahoovian cut.

If you trying to save having to do the flush cut for grinding why not just make the notch/scarf at ground level and bring the finishing cut into the bottom of the notch? presto....no stump cut...AND no finishing cut with your little dance off to the chipper with that piece (that you dropped that you had the chipper all set up for the camera shot :hmm3grin2orange:).

Silly silly stuff.:hmm3grin2orange: nothing revolutionary here as usual. This from an arb with WAY more experience than mr. Murphy.

Thats what I am saying.

Exactly what I was thinking. More from 'Mr. Lookatme'.

Latest posts

Back