Stepping up from the 60cc class

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go bigger

Why not an 084? You will find that it is the most underpriced saw out there. they go for a lot less than 660s on eslay, and there is enough meat on tehm to cut most anything!:greenchainsaw:

I have to agree. I bought a 5100 about a month ago and had some carb issues off the bat. the dealer made it right and I commend him for it but the stability is not there, we run stihl and husq most of the time and I have to say there is no comparison. The Dolmars cut fast but they feel sloppy.

That should probably be termed "loose" instead of sloppy.
In NASCAR they say "loose = fast".:laugh:

Andy

my 346xp NE is great.

only gets better the more i use it.really an impressive saw.my buddy has the 5100 and it's been a great saw so far as well.no problems from either.

Update

I went to see my friend with the 460. He pulled it out and it was a little hard to start, and didn't want to idle smoothly. Carb too lean. We tuned it up a little, and cut some cookies. Damn, that's a nice saw. I went to the Stihl dealer, and they seem open to a discount. :cheers:

Also, went to see the local Dolmar dealer. Liked the saws, not the guy. Dang.

My new final 3: 460, 390xp, 660.

if you're going with the 390xp.............

I went to see my friend with the 460. He pulled it out and it was a little hard to start, and didn't want to idle smoothly. Carb too lean. We tuned it up a little, and cut some cookies. Damn, that's a nice saw. I went to the Stihl dealer, and they seem open to a discount. :cheers:

Also, went to see the local Dolmar dealer. Liked the saws, not the guy. Dang.

My new final 3: 460, 390xp, 660.

you don't need the 660.i'd get one or the other.with the 660 you will need the updated chain oiler.

Alright maybe keep that 357 it is a pretty nice saw after all, and you can give it to the help when they show up. :cheers:

The 460 and 660 are pretty close with a 20-25" bar. You will not see the extra $$$ spent until the 660 pulls a 32"+

If a 25" and the occasional 32" is all you will need, go with the 460...

I am leaning that way guys. 460 w/24 or 25" bar. I wanted a 372, but with a 24" bar is would probably cut about like my 357 with 20" bar--fine, but not fast enough for that big smile we all crave.

i have a 372 with a 24' bar.

it still rips just fine in hardwood.i used to think i didn't need a 372 because i had a 357 and the horsepower difference wasn't that much.boy was i wrong.

I am leaning that way guys. 460 w/24 or 25" bar. I wanted a 372, but with a 24" bar is would probably cut about like my 357 with 20" bar--fine, but not fast enough for that big smile we all crave.

The 460 it is then.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Be sure to get the dual port cover while you are at the dealer.....

I'd go for the 390.....235 lbs of passion leanin' on the smart end of the saw hasn't bogged it down yet.And,after using the 390 for a few hours,the 357 will feel mighty light in hand.:cheers:

If you care about vibe levels - go with the 390xp!

Aye Troll, the war is between the 460 and the 390. I got to try both today. I can buy the 390 for about 100 dollars more than the 460, powerhead only.

Fwiw, the 390 was the champ of the day. It felt about the same as handling the 460, and it could cut like a dream. I don't like the vibration of the stihl saws, but I do like them a lot anyway. Stihl is German for solid. The 390 Husqvarna is an absolute super stud, I could not bog it down with a 24" bar.. The 660 is so much bigger, its not a candidate. The stihl saws are fat.

390: $900
460: $800 no dealing

i lke the 460 alot but.........

the 390 is more saw no doubt.it depends what you are doing with it i guess.if you're not gonna run any more than a 24" bar i'd get the 372,then the 460.i wouldn't buy a 390 just to run a 24".

prices are weird lately.i'd shop around if you have that option.

i was missing my 357 so i went to my guy.i told him to price me a 357 and a 361.the husky was 639 and the stihl is 569.both with an 18" bar.another 40 for that new tool less chain adjuster on the stihl.i think i'll pass if it's gonna be anything like their fuel and oil caps.

looks like i may be getting a 361 after all.

Back