sthil 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the top flat or a rounded shape. If it is rounded it is a later edition 066 or an 660. Plus they have the poly flywheel on the later editions.

+1

To the OP, I'm guessing you're trying to determine whether it is a 064 or 066?

If so, start with flywheel. If it's poly - 066. If it's metal, could be 064 or older 066. If so, pull clutch cover. Remove underlying cover to view and you should be able to see oiler assembly behind the clutch. If there is a black oil line coming off the right side of the oiler, it is a 064. I believe all 066 saws have an internal oil passage that supplies the bar so there will be no oil line visible.

That's the easiest way, if you're still not sure post a pic.

By the way, welcome to AS! :clap:

+1

To the OP, I'm guessing you're trying to determine whether it is a 064 or 066?

If so, start with flywheel. If it's poly - 066. If it's metal, could be 064 or older 066. If so, pull clutch cover. Remove underlying cover to view and you should be able to see oiler assembly behind the clutch. If there is a black oil line coming off the right side of the oiler, it is a 064. I believe all 066 saws have an internal oil passage that supplies the bar so there will be no oil line visible.

That's the easiest way, if you're still not sure post a pic.

By the way, welcome to AS! :clap:

Yeah when I built my frankensaw 064/066/660 saw. I used a 066 clutch side half of the case. Simply for the drilled passage an not the 064 tube design. It seemed more reliable. I dont know.

Starter thickness is another give away for the 066 to 064. The 066 starter is quite a bit thicker than the 064.

if there is no plate or sticker how do i tell if it is a o66 is there a ### on the engine

Part number prefix = 1122. If you have parts that have the numbers 1122-------. stamped on them then you are most likely looking at a 064-660 Stihl.

Others have given you ideas on how to tell 064s for 066/660s. Best bet is to measure the bore of the cylinder if you are still unsure.

Whats the power difference between the two saw, the 064 and 066. What would you compair it to, a 365 special to a 372XP?

Jason.

066 or 064

Whats the power difference between the two saw, the 064 and 066. What would you compair it to, a 365 special to a 372XP?

Jason.

check this out Jason if this doesnt help nothing will but the 272xp is one hell of a saw with a good bar and new chain shut it all down but click on the blue sit all the spec you need Bill's Saw Shop - Stihl chain saw specifications well just copy and paste this site didnt turn blue, your welcome

O.P welcome to the site, and 064-66, or a 660 either way you will be in good hands. Agree with what my pals recomended you do. And for sure pics lets see it. Jason the 064-66 are very close in power. 66 has a hair more displacement. I would be happy with either. Much more than a 372. If you ever ran a 288xp or 390xp, or 385 you would get the picture.

Latest posts

Back