Sthil brushcutter attachments

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Gotta question, not exactly a chain saw question, the chain saw dealers and saw experts hang out here so I thought this would a good place to ask.

I've got two Sthil brushcutter (trimmers) a FS 120 and a FS 280 K.

The question is which one of those steel brush knives work the best for rough areas that have a mixture of tall grass, thick stem weeds like cockleburr, thistles, multi flora rose and small dia. woody weed trees that are under 1/2 dia. max.

I got a couple different ones now but haven't found one I'm happy with. The tri-cut poly works great for most stuff, but changing blades gets old.

I'd use a mower to do but some of these areas, but not all the stumps and rocks have been removed, so I'm kinda stuck using the cutters till we get the final clearing and clean up done.

Also, can anyone tell me why a FS 120 is so darn cold blooded and hard to start?? I had it into the dealer and was told there was nothing wrong, but this one is a pain to work with compared to other Sthil products. Once it gets going it is great, starting it has been a problem since day one.

Thanks

Larry

blade

That 3 tooth brush blade is one mean unit. Takes down most of what you descrbed. I think the rotaing mass of it helps.

Is this a one screw adjust carburetor? Pain in the A$$!It is called the BIS (balanced idle system). I call it many other names.

The inlet lever height is critical as are the jets. One season of old gas and it is done.:angry:

This is a unit that I would love to see an adjustable carb on, only due to the fact of a different metering construction internally. Other than the carb, it is a great machine.

The 3 tooth is the one I haven't tried, so I'm going to give it a whirl and see how it goes. It is also the most expensive of the bunch, if it works it is worth every penny.

Sthiltech, Yes there is only one scew for adj. and it doesn't give you much either. Is there any way around this fuel delivery problem by changing carbs?? Or am I just stuck with this problem till I get something different. Some thimes I get so frustrated with this, I have to take the plug out and " wet it " to get it going.

Larry

Stihl & Husky make weed wackers and Clearing saws.
The clearing saws I use are the Husky 165R (at least thats what they were called when I used them) and the Stihl FS550.
Both have good angle gears but Stihl comes with a primer bulb.
The Husky clearing saws were a bear to start but when Sthil finally got it together and made the FS550 it turned out to be easier to start and the multiple harness attachment points made it easier to handle.
The Maxi blade is designed to cut larger material. But it is real delicate, cut into ANY dirt at all and the blade dulls. It is good for cutting so your stump heights are low enough so you can walk the site and not trip.
What I use is the 3-point. Stihl makes on that is 13" or so in diameter and really wails on the type of material you mentioned. I like to mulch the material into a rough, medium or fine surface mulch. Good for keeping regrowth down. The action of the blades shatters the stumps so it retards regrowth. Berry vines, light brush, poison oak all can be mulched in place and looks clean after working over the cleared area. The idea is to leave this material in place unstead of raking it up. Makes a great benificial mulch.
Husky makes a smaller blade but Stihl is the king in this respect. When Stihl first came out with the FS550 they did not recommend putting a whip head on it but have since come around. Nothing like exploding thistles and such like with a powerfull machine.
I was working an area once and next door were some guys with the smaller wackers, I was at least twice as fast and the greater power of my machine enabled me to really get a clean cut at the base of the plants where the weaker ones could barely cut the tops. Work at the top and go down sos you get small pieces, not these long stems that make great tinder.
Both clearing saws were designed to clear/thin stands of small trees to promote a better forest stand and thus more marketable timber down the road. The super deluxe harness is really not as adjustable as the orange plastic harness. The adjustability is real important when slinging these heavier saws around for hours and hours
All the other saws are really just homowner saws except for the FS350. It has a long shaft so you are not kinked over keeping the whip head even with the terrain. Spend a bit more but never hassle with an underpowered toy.
I know that Shindawa makes a reliable wacker on the professional bigger models.
Frans

The only thing a 550 lacks it a steering wheel and seat.:D

I will be truthful, I am not positive, but I think the newer saws have a fully adjustable carb. Seems due to a little hitch in EPA laws, the carb will have screws again. As long as they are in compliance when they leave the factory, they are in compliance. Afterwards, ????

Watch, the emissions police will show up tomorrow.:rolleyes:

I got a chance to try out that 3 point cutter attachment for my 280 K.

I've only got one thing to say about it.

Wow, That is one wicked cutting tool and is it ever fast Goes through any weed growth and small brush like a hot knife through butter. Makes me wonder why I didn't try it before, pays for itself quick by not having to use so many of those plastic blades and a chain saw.

Frans mentioned a 13" tri-cut, is there two sizes you can buy?? The one I got is only 8 or 9.5 in" that was available at our local Big R farm store that handles Sthil items. I normally don't patronize discount stores, but for one small item I didn't want to drive 15 mi. to my regular Sthil dealer.

Frans also kinda gave me the I wants when he mentioned this 550. What is a average price for a clearing saw like this?? A machine like this with the tri-cut will make short work of this brushy stuff growing around the farm, so we can gain back a few acres from a neglected fence line.

Larry

Ax-Man, you can install the current fully adjustable/with limiters carb and remain EPA legal.

Zama # C1Q-S82 but currently you have to get it through a Stihl dealer, part # 4134 120 0600. That balanced idle carb was total kr@p and I guarantee you, everyone from consumers to dealers are glad they have dumped them and gone back to something more friendly.

Thank-you so much Nevada, you just made my life a little less frustrating with those part numbers. I've pulled so much on that 120 rewind, the spring is getting tired, it amazes me I haven't pulled it out of the housing yet .

I'm going to answer my own previous post. I was over at our regular Sthil dealer today getting some bars. Sthil does have two sizes of those 3 point brush knives. A 9.5 in. for small to med size machines, and a 13 in. for the larger clearing saws.

A 550 clearing saw is just about an even $ 1,000.00 bucks.

Bwalker, yes your right, I've still got a FS-85 only I haven't used in years, leaking crank seals. This is why I bought the 120 which was a mistake from the day one. That 85 is a nice, light but aggresive little machine. There were two Sthil items that have been hanging around the shop that I was going to get rebuilt this year, one was that HT 75 power pruner that is now done and the other was that FS 85 which is next.

Larry

Funny you mentioned leaking crank seals. Mine does the same thing and has been for several years. The ???? thing just keeps running though so I havent worried about replacing it. When i do it will be with a redmax.
BTW my fs 85 has a ton of hours on it. One of my freinds who has a LS was pitching it after it quit on him. Turned out to be a ignition module that was warrantied by my local guy at the time. I have since ran the thing for 2years of home owner use and coming on two season of almost daily comercial use and its till going strong. The only parts I have really replaced besides the module and a carb kit where parts my employees broke.

Latest posts

Back