Sthil MS200 to saddle question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It gets bumped around a little. Half the time i've got it clipped to my saddle and it gets bumped around about the same either way. Never had a problem from little bumps to the saw though , thats one tuff little worker.

JTinaTree said:
Wouldn't the saw be banging into the tree the whole time if it were hanging that low? I am pretty anal about my saw and equipment I don't like my saw getting banged around on the side of the tree....But that's just me....

Depending on how high I'm going and how long it'll be before a cut, I'll climb without the saw, and then haul it up. Then it's just a couple of steps up to the next ring of limbs. I use the same lanyard you do. But no, it doesn't bang badly, and I'll usually climb with it hitched on the ring closest to the saw, so it's hanging off my hip, and not below my feet....but then again, I'm a slow climber, so it doesn't have much chance to start swinging anyway!

Have you seen how new and clean JTinaTree's gear is? That 200T's never been fired.

Your not just a gear junky are ya JTinaTree? Ya gotta get that stuff dirty. :D

The thing that i dont like about the bungee lanyard is the way you girth hitch it to the ring. What a PITA to remove. I always use a small biner to attach the saw and lanyard together. Makes unhooking a lot faster, and it gives you a bigger attachment point up close to the saw body.

The stitching on the breakaway section also can start to unravel from day one of use. That said i always would dump the saws on the lanyards, and never had one fail from dropping the saw on it.
Using key chain biners is just asking to drop the saw. Alot of guys use them but in my experience the spring on the gate will fail after a bit of opening, and your saw will fall.

Be Safe

I respect that different climbers use different setups for their saw attachments etc.

That said, I have witnessed many climbers get into trouble when their long chainsaw lanyards get hung up on branches and whatnot in tight quarters, and have even seen the saw get inadvertently ripped out of their hands after zip cuts come down in close enough proximity to them to snag their long leashes.

I myself use the old school rope clips very tightly tied to the mickey mouse wire attachment ring of my ms200t's, I bind the two together with starter cord with many many loops as tightly as possible, and then to stiffen the attachment, I bind all three wire, cord and rope clip eye with wraps of duct tape for maximum stiffness, so that the total length from saw to end of rope clip is about 5 inches.

This method of attachment allows me to reverse the saw in my hands so that my left hand pinkie finger controls the throttle trigger, while my right hand has the rope clip assembly in it's grasp, allowing me to achieve maximum leverage when I'm chunking down moderate sized vertical log sections. It effectively gives me an additional handle for added saw control in various cutting scenarios.

Other advantages though not necessarily unique, are being able to clip your saw to the saddle with one hand, and attaching your saw in the tree itself via the starter rope and handle recoil mechanism, for those dicey situations when your tie in is beneath you, and you venture into the danger zone with your trusty handsaw in an effort to reduce brush weight before subjecting the branch or top to the full weight of both you and your climbsaw.

Each climber is different, and wise climbers adopt the best methods that work safely and effectively for them individually.

Did I mention it works well for quickly lowering or raising your saw on the tail of your climbing line, so the saw hangs nice and vertical?

Work Safe

jomoco

Ekka said:
Have you seen how new and clean JTinaTree's gear is? That 200T's never been fired.

Your not just a gear junky are ya JTinaTree? Ya gotta get that stuff dirty. :D

Yeah, I am always getting teased/ragged on how clean my stuff is.. Not just my climbing equipment/saws but every thing I own. They say I have obessive compulsive disorder HA!HA!. I am a mechanic and you could look at my finger nails and never tell. But really I literally detail my equipment after every job so it stays looking pretty new.. I just run a part time buisness right now hope to go full time in the future. I also would like to get some ISA certs under my belt. But ekka I do like any gadget that helps me do the job safer and more effectivley. I am just a part timer and I could ask any tree service in town if they used a portawrap and they would say what is that????Lot of old schoolers around here. And that is fine with me to each his own right? By the way love your videos seen all of them,do you mainly work on Palms?? And another off topic question do you use a Elight bar on your 200 if so does it make it that much lighter? Seems to be mixed feelings about the Elight bar..

woodchux said:
The thing that i dont like about the bungee lanyard is the way you girth hitch it to the ring. What a PITA to remove. I always use a small biner to attach the saw and lanyard together. Makes unhooking a lot faster, and it gives you a bigger attachment point up close to the saw body.

The stitching on the breakaway section also can start to unravel from day one of use. That said i always would dump the saws on the lanyards, and never had one fail from dropping the saw on it.
Using key chain biners is just asking to drop the saw. Alot of guys use them but in my experience the spring on the gate will fail after a bit of opening, and your saw will fall.

Be Safe

Woodchux so you do let the saw drop on the bungee lanyard without failure? I was wondering if anybody did, and how it held up. I thought I would let somebody else be the guinnie pig before I started doing it..Did you see the picture of the caritool I posted? Do you know of anybody useing it?They come already on the new Treemotion harness SHERRILL is selling see pic.

JTinaTree said:
Lot of old schoolers around here. And that is fine with me to each his own right? .
New schoolers there too; doesn't Pinnacle work in that area?

I just use a plain ole dogleash; it's worked for me for 40 years so...

Ekka you may look mean spittin out that toothpick (fun vid btw)and all but I'd unseam you from your nave to your chaps (Macbeth flashback from high school) with my polesaw :rockn: before you even rev that stinkin greasy chainsaw thingy.:bang:

Last edited:
Chaps? errr are we supposed to wear them. LoL

I got a set in the cupboard from college days, they're not real good at mopping up spills. :hmm3grin2orange:

Haha, you got me.

treeseer said:
New schoolers there too; doesn't Pinnacle work in that area?

I just use a plain ole dogleash; it's worked for me for 40 years so...

Ekka you may look mean spittin out that toothpick (fun vid btw)and all but I'd unseam you from your nave to your chaps (Macbeth flashback from high school) with my polesaw :rockn: before you even rev that stinkin greasy chainsaw thingy.:bang:

Not that I no of I don't recognize the name anyway. I have a buddy that is useing a dogleash he likes it too. The main reason I just bought a buckingham breakaway lanyard is just for added saftey thats all...

JTinaTree said:
Woodchux so you do let the saw drop on the bungee lanyard without failure? I was wondering if anybody did, and how it held up. I thought I would let somebody else be the guinnie pig before I started doing it..Did you see the picture of the caritool I posted? Do you know of anybody useing it?They come already on the new Treemotion harness SHERRILL is selling see pic.

I have had to just a few times. But if I need to ditch the saw I usually try to slow the fall my letting the lanyard run over my gloves to help slow it down.

I just use a dog leash. Make sure to get the type that slide open with your thumb, they seem to be less likely to open accidently. I have had the "gate" type come open before.

I've had my 020 on the bungee lanyard yucked out of my hands and jerked to a stop on the lanyard, probably twice, - no sign of failure yet - just failure on my part to cut properly!

Bermie said:
I've had my 020 on the bungee lanyard yucked out of my hands and jerked to a stop on the lanyard, probably twice, - no sign of failure yet - just failure on my part to cut properly!

Bermie,I am not a up on current pyhsics of law, but I saw somewhere in a ad or something that it takes a 200lb to deploy the tearaway lanyard.However I can't seem to find that anywhere on the Instructions/WARNINGS sheet that came with the lanyard. I am thinking though if the 200lb is correct it would take your 200t being caught in the cut and pulled from you to acheive that 200lb pull.

I don't see that if your saw was to fall on the lanyard it would create a shockload of 200lb. This is my thinking of the matter. Anyone else seen the advertised breakaway load for the Buckingham Tear-Away chainsaw lanyard?

#200 is correct. I've had a couple bungee lanyards and if you are using a light saw like a 200t then dumping the saw will not release the breakaway. If i remember correctly the max saw weight should be 15#. Just dont go droppin your 460 on it and it'll be ok IMO

Here is a pic of my caritool biner by Petzl I installed tonight on my BII. I plan on useing this to try and get my saw a little higher up on my hip.

I've got the snap on my lanyard clipped to the ring on my saddle, and then the ring on the lanyard gets hooked on a krab which I cut the gate off of. My only complaint is that the krab sometimes likes to get pinched behind the D ring making it hard to get the ring out or on.

Mike Maas said:
It takes two hands to clip your saw to your belt???

Mike, you can clip it to the caritool I have with one hand the gate is spring loaded. However It does reqiure two hands to unclip of course....

Dream lanyard setup

I use the standard breakaway lanyard and I am quite happy with it. That being said, a burly little biner or quick link between it and the saw might be nice. Of course I tend to haphazardly wrap the lanyard around my arm while on the ground.

I use the caritool frequently for ice climbing but I don't think I would like it for my saw. Too big, and I like the sounds of metal clicking with metal. I use a bent gate carabiner like the caritool. It usually stays put and is easy to use one handed. Unfortunately, The small ring of the lanyard occaisionally pops off. If anyone manufactures a bent gate or wire gate biner with a second gate or moveable pin within it, that would be sweet. It sounds like some of us don't know the single handed unclip trick. ??? Grab the big ring on the lanyard, and push it in against the gate of the cari-? voila

Back