Sthil MS200 to saddle question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodville

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What's the best way you have found to attach MS200 to your saddle? The hook on the saw looks a little small and I'm not into the double clip style saw lanyard.

I bought a non-locking clip attached to a small loop of webbing. You girth hitch the webbing onto the metal ring on the saw and you're all set. Very easy to put on and take off.

try..........

Try the bungee style lanyard. You can choke it onto the small clip if the MS200 and it has a larger metal ring to hook to the saddle.

I have used lanyards I bought, made some, used lots of 200s and 020s, dropped them and they jerked on the clip, got them caught in branches as I was climbing up. Tougher than it looks, never seen a broken one.

I use a bungee lanyard, clipped to the centre loop on the back of my harness.

For a short clip up I have a bentgate carabiner on each hip in the harness webbing, I can clip the ring in the lanyard onto one of those when I want the saw up high.

That tab idea on the back of MS200T's is actually a safety protocol.

Stihl rep told me the idea being it should break if your saw was to get stuck in a cut.

So no point having a tear away lanyard, saw has built in one.

I started useing the bungee style lanyard a couple of months back. I was useing the Stihl lanyard which is kinda short. I use two keychain carabiners one on the side of my BFII and the other on the end of the lanyard clipped to the back of my saddle. I just clip the big ring on the bungee lanyard to the carabiner on the side of my saddle when not in use.. I will post pics later.

Ekke do you know if there is any documented proof of this? I have hurd this a few times now. I currently use the bungee lanyard as well but would like to switch to frescos clip and switch style one. I keep it on all the time so it gets in the way a little when using it on the ground.

I too use dog leashes. all my trim saws have a piece of starter rope on the handles to clip up close. use the leash just in case I have to dump it, or hold something and choose to dump it.
-Ralph

I use a 2metre piece of prussick with Yosemite Bowline knots on each end. Clip it on with 2 screw gate alloy carabiners. But i'm about to buy a bungee lanyard as a few times i've had to dump it and the prussick doesn't absorb the shock that well.

Yeah, but that little blue carabiner can be a pain to open with gloves on. I use a similar setup but with a homemade rope lanyard. Instead of the little blue carabiner, I use a ladder snap (locking to prevent branches from snagging), and instead of that little ring, I tie a carabiner tight into the lanyard. Everything is bigger and thus easier to handle. Plus the ladder snap hangs down low enough, that you can just reach down and bring it up near the front of you instead of having to twist around every time you reattach your saw.

I found that if my saw is hanging any lower than it is now, It is banging my feet and tries to trip me up while climbing sometimes. I am planning on buying a Spring loaded Caritool by Petzl its a accessory Carabiner ,I will attach it to the side of my saddle just above the blue carabiner. I hope this will get my saw up even higher..

Last edited:
Wouldn't the saw be banging into the tree the whole time if it were hanging that low? I am pretty anal about my saw and equipment I don't like my saw getting banged around on the side of the tree....But that's just me....

Latest posts

Back