Sticker shock!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got ready yesterday to go cut some locust. Checked the tool box and was a bit low on chain/bar oil and for a change didnt' have a new gallon on the shelf. Off to the local Grange supply to get a couple.

$11 a gallon!! You gotta be kidding. Went a mile up the road to the local Ace Hardware. Poulan and Ace brand $6.99. Still high but within reason condsidering the price of crude.

Wonder how straight Mazola cooking oil would do.

Harry K

There was a long thread recently dedicated to this topic. LINK. Walmart bar lube is $5.17 here. I bought several gallon.

Yeah, Poulan oil was $5.17 at Wallyworld as well.

Brad, have you tried that Wallyworld lube?...or at least open the jug to check it out?

If you don't like the cost of actual bar oil, I doubt you'll like the cost of a gallon of vegetable oil. It's approaching $4 a liter (just over a quart) for the cheaper stuff here. And doesn't vegetable oil lose viscosity at much lower heat ranges?

Consider this forester/chemists research;

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Is...ay/Careers.asp

I spoke with someone in the restaurant business, and I can get vegetable oil for $4 a gallon. This guy was using straight vegetable oil. I've been using it in hot weather, and the saw is cutting fine through large firewood, and it smells better.

Last edited:
If you don't like the cost of actual bar oil, I doubt you'll like the cost of a gallon of vegetable oil. It's approaching $4 a liter (just over a quart) for the cheaper stuff here. And doesn't vegetable oil lose viscosity at much lower heat ranges?

you raise a valid point on the costs.

but it could be alot cheaper than petro soon.....

im thinking of giving it a series of mixtur performance tests sometime

gear lube??

What about using 80W gear oil like what is found in axles on cars? I know it is good for impact resistance as well as lubrication. Anyone know the viscosity of bar oil? reason being I have access to a virtually unlimited supply of this stuff.

Got ready yesterday to go cut some locust. Checked the tool box and was a bit low on chain/bar oil and for a change didnt' have a new gallon on the shelf. Off to the local Grange supply to get a couple.

$11 a gallon!! You gotta be kidding. Went a mile up the road to the local Ace Hardware. Poulan and Ace brand $6.99. Still high but within reason condsidering the price of crude.

Wonder how straight Mazola cooking oil would do.

Harry K
Don't use Mazola! It is corn oil or at least that is the only Mazola I have seen up here. I use 100% Canola at around $4.50 a galon, Plus I am helping local farmers with my purchase. I have had no problems with it but I do flush out my oil tank before long term storage with diesel. Oh gee another oil thread or is that tread?:)
I find Corn oil gets real sticky real fast! and olive oil tastes great but cost too much and jells at around 0c:greenchainsaw:

What about using 80W gear oil like what is found in axles on cars? I know it is good for impact resistance as well as lubrication. Anyone know the viscosity of bar oil? reason being I have access to a virtually unlimited supply of this stuff.
It might be fine but stinks like 70 million year old dinosaurs:)

It might be fine but stinks like 70 million year old dinosaurs:)

The gear oil tastes JUST Like it Smells........

Ax Me how I Know........:censored: Took a swig from a coke can that was full of it, I had just bought a coke, put it down and was sanding a boat, got thirsty and grabbed the first can I saw M:censored:F'r it taste BAD, And water will NOT Dilute that stuff in your mouth. Everytime I smell it I think of that instance.:censored:

Last edited:
The gear oil tastes JUST Like it Smells........

Ax Me how I Know........:censored: Took a swig from a coke can that was full of it, I had just bought a coke, put it down and was sanding a boat, got thirsty and grabbed the first can I saw M:censored:F'r it taste BAD, And water will NOT Dilute that stuff in you mouth. Everytime I smell it I think of that instance.:censored:
LOL:) that's why I don't drink martiny's made with Gin! only Vodka for me. I had a Mountain bike wipe out 20+ years ago before riding a mountain bike became cool or the norm. I was 17yeas old, 39 now and I had a spill on a mountain lake I was going fishing on. Head first into a pine tree, I still can taste that pine so I stay away from Gin as it is flavored with Juniper close enough for me it has a piny taste! And brings back painful memory's.

LOL:) that's why I don't drink martiny's made with Gin! only Vodka for me. I had a Mountain bike wipe out 20+ years ago before riding a mountain bike became cool or the norm. I was 17yeas old, 39 now and I had a spill on a mountain lake I was going fishing on. Head first into a pine tree, I still can taste that pine so I stay away from Gin as it is flavored with Juniper close enough for me it has a piny taste! And brings back painful memory's.

Forget about the pine, I have enough bad memories of the Gin itself that I avoid it like the plague.

Quaker State Dura-Tac

I bought two gallons of Quaker State Dura-Tac bar oil yesterday at Menards, $6.99 each.

I think I will continue to use the Do-It Hardware brand $7.99/gallon through the summer months as they have a thicker "Summer" and thinner "Winter" formula. The QA seem pretty thin in the bottle, plus at the local lumberyard/harware store I just pick it up and have them write it down, and my wife pays the bill at the end of the month.

Mark

Brad Penn 20w-50 also works good in the summer time. Its actually the old Kendall GT-1 20w-50, still green in color and sticks to everything!.

I tried the W Mart oil (Poland Pro) and noticed a BIG difference in heat build up on my bars. Chains ran hotter, & IMO not worth the savings over Stihl,Husky, or Jred oil. I run GB ti & pro top bars.
I dumped the W Mart into my local Citgo's new 'used oil burning heater' ...

Back