Stickers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can you use Construction Foam for stickers in your lumber stack? I heard it mentioned somewhere so I thought I would ask. They also mentioned plastic stickers.

Thanks

me thinks the foam would get smashed, after not to many layers of wood. plastic would work. lot of guys use wood, as thats what they are milling, and they make it out of the side scraps--but they need to be dried,so it doesnt carry water, and mold where they set.

me thinks the foam would get smashed, after not to many layers of wood. plastic would work. lot of guys use wood, as thats what they are milling, and they make it out of the side scraps--but they need to be dried,so it doesnt carry water, and mold where they set.

that's what I was thinking about the foam, but thought I would ask.

I can make stickers out of the scrap I mill for use next time, just trying to get something together for the first batch of boards. Just trying to find something fast and easy to cut up.

sub-question, can you use PT wood for stickers?

I can get 2x2 PT balusters that are used for railing cheap, just didn't know if it being PT would hurt.

Im not sure about pressure treated lumber but I do use a lot of construction waste materials such as 2X4 and 2X6. I just rip it to the desired size on my tablesaw.

Yep, all mine came from construction scrap during the housing boom in my neighborhood. Since I dry in my garage, I only use 2' long stickers, so not hard to find scrap pieces that work.

sub-question, can you use PT wood for stickers?

I can get 2x2 PT balusters that are used for railing cheap, just didn't know if it being PT would hurt.

I don't know what size lumber you mill, but i like to keep my stickers as close to 1x1 as i can get. Too big, and the wood can dry too fast, causeing problems, too small can cause problems too.

Rob

I don't know what size lumber you mill, but i like to keep my stickers as close to 1x1 as i can get. Too big, and the wood can dry too fast, causeing problems, too small can cause problems too.

Rob

2x2 is there nominal size, i think they are actually more like 1 1/4" square, maybe 1 1/2", if the PT wont hurt I would like to go that route for the first stickers I have.

I can't understand why anyone (read sawmill owner) but a commercial operation would ever buy a sticker, when they are so easily sawn out for almost FREE. That's what you use your "shorts" and "low grade" lumber for!

Rob

I know a few that use 3/4" plywood, which is what I plan on doing, and making them 1 1/2" wide. That way I don't have to wait for them to dry. I just have an excess of scrap plywood that needs something to do.

I also happen to be at one of the BORG stores and they had a closeout on all their TREX 2"x2" rail balusters for 29 cents each, so I bought all 70 of them. I'll rip'em down to size and see how they work.

I found an interesting article on wood drying and the recommendations of sticker sizes. Here it is

Ted

Am I correct in ready that you would want to use “pressure treated” “pt” lumber for stickers???????
I would be very concerned about transfer of chemicals, and staining of the wood. I would think that you would be far better off taking your chances with using green sticker then pressure treated lumber. No to mention the fact that you would not be able to market your wood as eco friendly, or organic.
As a side note even the big mills buy there stickers, just by the truck load. Stickers are an added commodity that us little guys can cut cost on by producing our own, once our demand for stickers out pace our ability to produce stickers at a savings, it becomes cost effective to purchase high quality stickers.

AaronB. I'd forget the chemical enriched PT wood. Stay away..give it away...don't even bother burning it. Surely you cannot find some 2x4s at a local building site. Those framers or concrete forming guys use a lot of material, then pile it up as scrap (you don't want anything with concrete on it!). You could rip up some scraps of ply...some 2x6s, 2x8s..anything would work. My first stickers were made from old dry 2x4, 6s, 8, 10s. I ripped them into 1 x 3/4" x 2" long stickers and away I went. I since used some scraps I milled off the tops of logs and stacked them to dry knowing they will be ripped into some hardwood stickers in the future. However, nothing wrong with finding a couple of handfulls of short 2x4s at a local building site.

Thanks for all the tips, I think I will just use plywood, 2x's or scraps of wood from my woodworking for the first stickers. Then once the logs are cut up I can start making my own.

Anyone had any problems ripping 2x's on a table saw, due to bowing or cupping?

Last edited:
I'd forget the chemical enriched PT wood. Stay away..give it away...don't even bother burning it. (you don't want anything with concrete on it!). (quote)
you could probably use the newer pt wood--supposedly safe--dont know tho if it would still stain-----andd, boards with concrete--just use a carbide blade in your saw--and dont jamb the board thru. mild amounts of concrete aint no problem--

andd, boards with concrete--just use a carbide blade in your saw--and dont jamb the board thru. mild amounts of concrete aint no problem--
Until you take the board that was sitting on the sticker, and now has concrete embedded in it, and run it thru your planer. OOPs there goes another set of planer knives.

PT will stain the board your are drying ... you can plane it out, if you plan on planing your wood, but it will stain.

I got a bunch of 1X2's at lowes on a clearance. Worth it, in my opinion, to spend the little time I have for milling doing slabs and cutting lumber for making furniture, etc., than getting worked up over whether or not I have my stickers in the right dimensions and if they are dry ...

I guess it comes down to what value you put on your time, and what parts of milling you really enjoy. I like a lot of the set-up and planning ... but can't get myself enthused about milling stickers.

Mike

A Friend, Working in construction found these plastic balasters (about 20 extra for each Condo--100+) brought them home// they work great--wish I hah a million more/// EPA
DSCN1742.jpg

Anyone had any problems ripping 2x's on a table saw, due to bowing or cupping?

With a tablesaw , using wood that is cupped/bowed raises the kickback potential. Run the 2x across a jointer first.

Someone mentioned "don't even bother burning the p.t. wood" Burning it is the last thing you want to do, as the CCA wood when burned produces Hydrogen cyanide in the smoke. Bad news, all these chemicals.

Latest posts

Back