Stihl 011 AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djg james

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I inherited a Stihl 011 AV that I've currently posted about replacement sprocket. I recently took it to a guy to clean/tune the carb. He had trouble tuning it and had very negative things to say about the 011. Said best thing to do was to get rid of it.

To those of you who own a Stihl 011 AV, what are your impressions about it? My Dad never had issues with it albeit he only pruned a couple of trees a year. Is it a piece of junk or is it a reliable saw?

I like mine and the several I've had over the years. Only word of caution is to verify oiler is working before dropping some cash into it. The oiler diaphragms are NLA. I'm sure your dad agrees they are a great little limber saw. Don't let one negative attitude sway your decision.

I like mine and the several I've had over the years. Only word of caution is to verify oiler is working before dropping some cash into it. The oiler diaphragms are NLA. I'm sure your dad agrees they are a great little limber saw. Don't let one negative attitude sway your decision.
/
I did find a dealer in Penn that had a oiler diaphragm but would not ship it to me.I would think they would be happy to get rid of old stock.

When the guy did the carb did he put a grub screw in ?with out it they can be a pain to tune and start ...So simple but it will make you scratch your head..... I remember the first time i redid the fuel lines on mine years ago and missed it as stihl line is black..... went in to my local shop back then and the old Mechanic no long gone listened to me and asked if i reused mine i was like huh????He Disappeared and came back with line with one in it said try this and sure enough it fired up and ran pretty good with both screws adjusted per specs ... That was about 20 years ago with a 009 but I always remember them now LOL.....

When the guy did the carb did he put a grub screw in ?with out it they can be a pain to tune and start ...So simple but it will make you scratch your head..... I remember the first time i redid the fuel lines on mine years ago and missed it as stihl line is black..... went in to my local shop back then and the old Mechanic no long gone listened to me and asked if i reused mine i was like huh????He Disappeared and came back with line with one in it said try this and sure enough it fired up and ran pretty good with both screws adjusted per specs ... That was about 20 years ago with a 009 but I always remember them now LOL.....

And good luck finding the oiler diaphragm...they pop up at an outrageous price on the bay from time to time....

It is a pain to work on.
That usually is enough to get guys to say bad things about them!!

I have an 011 under my bench right now, came in for starter repair and “check running”. I knew before I even started that it wasn’t going to run as the fuel in the tank was super old and fuel lines hard as a rock. Fixed the starter real quick and of course the only way I could get it started was to spray fuel directly into the carb. I threw it in a box and under my bench. I know it’s there and it’s waiting for me, I just keep working on other saws because I hate 009 and 011 with a passion. If you have big hands good luck with installing the carb with the gasket and making sure the fuel line is routed the right way. Worst design ever.

I have an 011 under my bench right now, came in for starter repair and “check running”. I knew before I even started that it wasn’t going to run as the fuel in the tank was super old and fuel lines hard as a rock. Fixed the starter real quick and of course the only way I could get it started was to spray fuel directly into the carb. I threw it in a box and under my bench. I know it’s there and it’s waiting for me, I just keep working on other saws because I hate 009 and 011 with a passion. If you have big hands good luck with installing the carb with the gasket and making sure the fuel line is routed the right way. Worst design ever.
/
Would you like to send it to a good home ?

Sorry to dig up a 2 year old thread but are you talking about grub screws in the tank breather? I have a 009 that is giving me fits after rebuilding the carb

Worst design ever.
Not quite. There are worse.
Yes, I get it. A neighbor gave me the saw and I have two more to fix for friends.

I went in the garage and got my saw and started it outside. I sprayed brake cleaner at the carb base and if immediately died. I suspect that the reed housing is warped, I pulled it apart and used Dirko to seal the interface. I didn't like doing that in such a tight place but I'm not sure what else I could have done to stop the leak.

I'm going to let the Dirko dry overnight before starting it. I hope this solved the problem.

OK as you can see from the profile I have an original 009 (1981). Pressure and vacuum test is a must OR spray brake cleaner around gasket and seals. Any change indicates a leak.
Carburetors can be a problem. Age is the culprit. A kit and a deep clean is you best bet. Intake gaskets sealed. Tank vent with the grub screw must pass vacuum.
One of he best things I did was put MotoMix in it. It sure loves octane. Starts much better also.
As for the oiler, give it a good cleaning. The spring and ball in the outlet get sticky

Latest posts

Back