Stihl 015

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVshooter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,

A friend of mine brought me a saw he'd like to get running again, said it was his grandfather's. Then he showed up with it in it's very own carrying case (read: a bucket to keep all the parts together).

Anyway, It's a pretty good shape 015. It's before the AV came out on that guy, so it's got a solid handle. Once we got it apart, I gave him the good news and the bad news. The bad news was that the rod bearing grenaded and the piston was junk. The good news is that the jug seems to be damage free.

Anywho, he wants to fix the saw, so my question is if anyone knows someone who's got some parts to these laying around. I've tried Bailey's, Northwood and Chainsawr without luck. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Stihl 015 and brush cutter attachment

I have a Stihl 015 with a seperate brush cutter attachment. It appears as though you remove part of the cover off the saw and then attach the brush cutter to the ouput of the saw. I'd like to have some idea what this set is worth. I got this from my father-in-law who is forever buying at yard sales. I do not need it or appreciate it like some people would and I'd prefer someone have it that really appreciates it. Any ideas what it's worth? I forgot to add that the saw runs. I've never attached the brush cutter to it. I've never tried to cut with the saw.

I've gotta 015 that I'm gettin ready to tear into. Seals, Crankshaft Bearing and Rings are still available OEM.
Rings - 10.70
CS Seals - 10.70 EA
Crank Bearing - .60 (what I was told by the dealer over the phone)
Didn't ask about the clutch. I've used the pistons from dandrikop and they are good quality. If my 015 needs a piston, it'll be an Episan from Greece.

Ditto

I've gotta 015 that I'm gettin ready to tear into. Seals, Crankshaft Bearing and Rings are still available OEM.
Rings - 10.70
CS Seals - 10.70 EA
Crank Bearing - .60 (what I was told by the dealer over the phone)
Didn't ask about the clutch. I've used the pistons from dandrikop and they are good quality. If my 015 needs a piston, it'll be an Episan from Greece.

I did the same to my 015. Even the dealer was surprised at the parts that were available for that saw. Your prices on the rings and seals, are close to what I paid, but the crank bearings were about 15 dollars apiece, if I remember correctly.{can't find the slip}
WoodchuckVT

Yeah
I was surprised myself. He said the Ign. coil was still available. The 60 cent crank bearing has to be wrong. Maybe a glitch on the website or somethin.

Yeah
I was surprised myself. He said the Ign. coil was still available. The 60 cent crank bearing has to be wrong. Maybe a glitch on the website or somethin.

Please follow-up on the 015 ignition coil with your dealer, and let us know what happens. It has been my understanding that the 015 coil has been NLA for quite a few years, & IIRC several Stihl mechtechs here have made similar posts.

Yeah
I'll double check. Kinda blows my mind to. He quoted a new coil at 86.00.

Please follow-up on the 015 ignition coil with your dealer, and let us know what happens. It has been my understanding that the 015 coil has been NLA for quite a few years, & IIRC several Stihl mechtechs here have made similar posts.

I know the points saws parts are NLA. Not sure of the electronic saws.

Hi all,

A friend of mine brought me a saw he'd like to get running again, said it was his grandfather's. Then he showed up with it in it's very own carrying case (read: a bucket to keep all the parts together).

Anyway, It's a pretty good shape 015. It's before the AV came out on that guy, so it's got a solid handle. Once we got it apart, I gave him the good news and the bad news. The bad news was that the rod bearing grenaded and the piston was junk. The good news is that the jug seems to be damage free.

Anywho, he wants to fix the saw, so my question is if anyone knows someone who's got some parts to these laying around. I've tried Bailey's, Northwood and Chainsawr without luck. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Is it the 015L top handle saw? Most 015's I've seen are AV.

Sthil 015

I just love my 015, bought it new in '75 and done a ton of hard work with it.
Finally it started to need work, wouldn't idle, seals were gone. Spark was intermitten, sprocket was worn, etc.
The local Sthil dealer had in stock, two seals,carb rebuild kit. a ignition plate with the points and condenser mounted, bet he was happy to move them.
I also changed over to 3/8 chain from 1/4" which was getting hard to find, and a pain to sharpen.
So with the new bar and chain, clutch drum/sprocket, oil pump drive gear and the ubove mentioned parts, I matched the price of the saw new. :
I was happy to have the old friend back and running.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saw poor, I have nine other saws to choose from but your first is special.;)
Got to go out and fire up the 7900 and buck some oak, don't want to run low on wood as I did this year.

FREDM

Update on my 015 project: teardown showed early signs of air leak (flywheel side seal) - piston is slightly streaked, but very servicable - compression was low, so new ring is in order - cylinder is in excellent shape - points are pretty worn
Looks like:
new crank seals, ring, replace points and it should be good to go
Now here's the funny (well not really) part..... I pulled the crank/piston out of the cylinder and instantly had 12 tiny roller bearings bouncin all over the floor of my shop. I had no idea this thing was designed this way. I've currently re-located 11 of the 12, so I've still got one bearing MIA.........then I proceed to let the crankshaft tilt to one side and that's when the crankshaft bearing slid off and to the floor....flying apart and distributing (16) tiny needle bearings all over creation. I've found about (10) of those so far. Needless to say, I called it a night. I've named this little devil saw the "Grenade"!! I'll have to round up another crankshaft bearing and e-bay a set of roller bearings I guess.
*****My question: How in the world do you re-install the conrod/crankshaft bearings and get them to stay put while you put the piston back in the cylinder?

Yup, I had a homelite 150 I think it was "grenade" on me like that. It was the first time I'd seen that and was like WTF! I had to find them all. Took hours. And I guessed and used wheel bearing grease too, guess others had the same thing happen! I thought that one was a fluke! Wondered why anyone would design em like that and not use a cage bearing. I'll have to remember to be careful when I tear into some 015s I have!

Latest posts

Back