Stihl 015AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fogelber

fogelber

ArboristSite Lurker
A few years ago, I came across an older Stihl 015AV that I got for $50. I have been able to keep it running and replace most of the older, worn out parts. It's been a blast tinkering with it and I've learned a ton about engines. It's really the perfect saw for my needs. It does have some problems though. First off, the cut-off switch has never worked. I've heard that's pretty common. I just choke it out when I want to turn it off or pull the spark wire off. It's a bit of a pain. My saw has the old points and condenser. I've tried putting a new spring on the cut-off switch, but to no avail. To fix it, would I need to replace the points and condenser? Could I swap it out with an electronic ignition chip? It also doesn't like to idle too terribly long. I'm thinking it's the carb, since I've never cleaned it and don't know when it was last done. Is that hard to do? I guess I've been hesitant to try it out of fear of ruining the carb. Finally, the chain keeps spinning, slowly, even in idle. I've replace the spring around the clutch and that helped slow it down, but didn't fix the problem. Do I need new clutch shoes at this point, or is it just something I've got to live with? My last question is about porting the muffler. I've read that that is a way to get a little more horsepower out of the saw. Has anyone ever done that on an 015 av? How would I do that?

wudpirat

wudpirat

ArboristSite Operative
015 av

a I :heart: my little 015.
Bought it new in '75 for $149.99 and it has served me well, I cut a lot of firewood and some large trees also.
Had some issues as can be expected, plug wire, carb rebuild , crank seals, points/condenser.
The points and condenser were replaced as a unit, mounted on a plate I got from the Stihl dealer, seems the pivot on the points wears and screws up the timing, new points will not corect the problem as the contacts are missalined.
I did change out the 1/4" chain for a LP 3/8", Sprocket, oil pump drive and bar and chain. It really changed the character of the saw esp. when running a Non safety chain.
The little 015 doesn't get the use it had before I accuried the other nine saws in my stable. (dam CAD ) The Mac 10s and the 6400, 7900 are reserved for the big jobs.
The 015 is a great saw and I would keep it running as long as posible, Handy when you need a little bit more than a bow saw.

FREDM

malce

malce

ArboristSite Lurker

Hi, please advise what you did to the plastic oil pump drive to make the 3/8 sprocket fit instead of the 1/4, I am trying to fit one at the moment but obviously the 1/4 drive will only fit the 1/4 slot in the plastic wheel.
regards
malcolm

here it the chilly UK

redunshee

redunshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hi, please advise what you did to the plastic oil pump drive to make the 3/8 sprocket fit instead of the 1/4, I am trying to fit one at the moment but obviously the 1/4 drive will only fit the 1/4 slot in the plastic wheel.
regards
malcolm

here it the chilly UK

You need the 3/8 oil pump gear. MIght still be available from your Stihl dealer

redunshee

redunshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
A few years ago, I came across an older Stihl 015AV that I got for $50. I have been able to keep it running and replace most of the older, worn out parts. It's been a blast tinkering with it and I've learned a ton about engines. It's really the perfect saw for my needs. It does have some problems though. First off, the cut-off switch has never worked. I've heard that's pretty common. I just choke it out when I want to turn it off or pull the spark wire off. It's a bit of a pain. My saw has the old points and condenser. I've tried putting a new spring on the cut-off switch, but to no avail. To fix it, would I need to replace the points and condenser? Could I swap it out with an electronic ignition chip? It also doesn't like to idle too terribly long. I'm thinking it's the carb, since I've never cleaned it and don't know when it was last done. Is that hard to do? I guess I've been hesitant to try it out of fear of ruining the carb. Finally, the chain keeps spinning, slowly, even in idle. I've replace the spring around the clutch and that helped slow it down, but didn't fix the problem. Do I need new clutch shoes at this point, or is it just something I've got to live with? My last question is about porting the muffler. I've read that that is a way to get a little more horsepower out of the saw. Has anyone ever done that on an 015 av? How would I do that?

Don't understand why a new cutoff spring won't shut down saw. It should. Its only a flat metal spring. You can use a chip but I do see points and condensors on Ebay occassionly. However if the saw starts and runs I don't think you need points. Have you tried adjusting the idle screw on the carb? That's your frist step in stopping the chain. Try rebuilding the carb. That may solve most of your idle issues.

wudpirat

wudpirat

ArboristSite Operative
015 av

Yes, the oil pump gear has to match clutch sprocket, 1/4" for 1/4" and 3/8" for 3/8" chain. One of the reasons I changed to 3/8"LP was that 1/4" chain was getting deficult to find and the price. I was running a 72 DL bar. The 3/8" runs a 50DL bar.
The 015 is a great little saw and I have cut some big stuff, it was not ment to cut everything.
You got big stuff, get a big saw.
Yesterday I dropped and bucked a 30" Maple snag using my Dolmar 7900, like a hot knife through butter. Latter I was tuning up the Craftsman 50cc 20" and tried a couple of cuts. What a difference. I could bog the Craftsman in a cut that the Dolmar never, even leaning into it.
Little saws are fun but the have their limitations.
Looking for a replacement air filter for the 015 AV, got pantyhose wrapted around mine.

FREDM,
(wood pirate)

Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

Supreme Saw Whoreder
I have an 015 with the optional hedge trimmer, the original case and the 2 operators manuals.

Stihl015006.jpg

Stihl015001.jpg

fogelber

fogelber

ArboristSite Lurker
Don't understand why a new cutoff spring won't shut down saw. It should. Its only a flat metal spring. You can use a chip but I do see points and condensors on Ebay occassionly. However if the saw starts and runs I don't think you need points. Have you tried adjusting the idle screw on the carb? That's your frist step in stopping the chain. Try rebuilding the carb. That may solve most of your idle issues.

Thanks! I'll tinker with the idle screw, and maybe attempt a rebuild. Have you ever heard of the kill swtich lead wire going bad? I see them pop up on eBay every so often. Don't know that it's a big deal. If I can fix it though, I'd love to. Just adds to the fun! Something else I've always wondered: to remove the flywheel, do I need a flywheel puller, or can I get it off some other way?

redunshee

redunshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks! I'll tinker with the idle screw, and maybe attempt a rebuild. Have you ever heard of the kill swtich lead wire going bad? I see them pop up on eBay every so often. Don't know that it's a big deal. If I can fix it though, I'd love to. Just adds to the fun! Something else I've always wondered: to remove the flywheel, do I need a flywheel puller, or can I get it off some other way?

Yea, if a kill switch lead wire is bad the saw won't shut off. Howevr the 015 doesn't have a lead wire as I recall, just the flat spring that grounds out the saw when pushed. Haven't taken my 015 apart in a couple years so I'm a little hazy. I've had good luck removing flywheels by putting the nut back on the flywheel until its flush with the top of the crankshaft. I then tap(hit) the nut with a hammer. Usually the flywheel simply pops up. There are pullers but I've never used one. If its really tight I spray with WD40.

malce

malce

ArboristSite Lurker
Stihl 015

I am unable to buy a 3/8 oil pump gear anywhere in the UK, it is like living in a third world country when you try to buy spares for anything a bit unusual, so if anyone out there has one spare please advise if you could sell me it.
I have just converted a Stihl 038avsuper to magnum for the serious stuff and it works great.

Glockmaster16

Glockmaster16

ArboristSite Lurker
Stihl 015AV Kill Switch

The front of the spring on the sliding kill switch stays in contact with the body of the saw. When you slide the switch forward to stop the saw, the rear of the spring on the switch makes contact with the wire that connects to the points, thus shorting to ground causing the saw to stop. This wire does go bad and in my experience I believe it is usually at the point where the rear of the switch makes contact. The replacement of this wire is no easy task. You have to remove the side cover where the recoil starter is located and then remove the flywheel, dust cover for the points, points and then remove the side screw that connects the coil wire and the kill switch wire. Now remove the kill switch wire from the bottom using a small screwdriver to help push the rubber grommet through the saw from the top. That is the easy part. Install the new wire from the top through the saw and install the rubber grommet into the saw. Make sure the wire in not seated into the grommet as this restricts the amout the grommet collapses and makes insertion into the saw harder. Also a little lube will help. Be careful while doing this as the screwdriver can rip or tear the grommet and even cut the wire. No matter how you look at it, it takes time, so don't get in a hurry . Now I just finished doing this and had success. The kill switch worked as it should. On my second 015 that the kill switch didn't work, I did everything as above but did not take out the wire. I put a meter on the wire and it showed an open. I then pulled the wire out through the grommet about 3 inches and soldiered the connector and wire together where the rear of the spring will make contact. I then put a meter back on the wire and now it had continuity. Yahoo!! You may even crimp the connector first to see if this helps. If I have another kill switch problem, I'm going to soilder the wire in place without taking everything off except the recoil cover so as just to get to the wire. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
sefh3

sefh3

Addicted to ArboristSite

More than likely the wire is bad. Your not to far from me and I have some extra parts for that saw. You can elimanate the points and use a Nova module and make it electronic. PM if you need help.

malce

malce

ArboristSite Lurker
Stihl oli gear

Hi, thanks for that, but he will not post internationally, and I cannot email him via ebay for some reason, I would come over but cannot afford it at the moment!
Malce:frown:

malce

malce

ArboristSite Lurker
Stihl oli gear

That would be great, how can I pay you?
What a silly question, I did not read all of your post and see the bit about ebay!
If you could get it for me and list it I will buy it off your ebay site, just let me know and do a buy it know.

Last edited:

Latest posts