Stihl 020 AVP Electronic - no spark- any help with finding parts or alternatives?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoosterUK

Reaction score
My elderly Stihl 020 AVP Electronic has failed with no spark.
I'd like to keep it running, although a good age it's done very little work. I'm it's second owner but I've known the saw since new and its done so little work it's currently on only it's third ever chain, and one of those wore out prematurely on dirty stumps full of grit and old wire.

I've stripped it down and checked all the wires, the kill switch and HT lead, all seem ok.
Tested the coil with a multi meter and that reads around 2 Ohms Primary and 8 kohms Secondary which I think is as it should be.

That leaves me doubting the trigger unit. This saw is fitted with a transistor trigger and I'm not sure how I can test that unit.

So does anyone know how to test the transistor triggers?

Have searched for a replacement trigger but can't find one so does anyone have any idea where I might source one or are there alternatives that I could use to get it running again?

Trigger fitted is part no: 1 217 280 106
Coil fitted is part no: 2 204 222 052
Flywheel is part no: 1 216 610 041 MTZ

I'm pretty sure that the OP is referring to that little silver module about the size of a fingernail that replaced the points and condenser . That part is going to be very very hard to find. It was a proto type electronic ignition system . The later version coils of the 020 's up to the 020 super will swap but you also need to have the correct flywheel with the E stamped on it. The op may have the correct flywheel . It has been awhile since I messed with those 020's.

Latest posts

Back