STIHL 032AV Electronic has no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just purchased a Stihl 032AV Electronic Quickstop for $27.00. It has no spark, but very good compression. I've run through the usual checks i.e. kill switch, shorted/open circuits, ohm tested coil (1.2 ohm primary, 9.4K secondary). Unfortunately it's starting to look like the trigger module under the flywheel. What is the best replacement for this module factory or aftermarket. This is the round module and the flywheel has two magnets. The information on the net has me more confused than when I started my research. Let me stress this is factory electronic ignition. I'm not converting from points.

Sometimes the only replacement is to buy a points coil for an 031 or 032 along with a Nova II chip or equivalent and see how it does. Sometimes I've had good luck with these and other times not. Occasionally the electronic flywheel will cause a timing problem but it seems not always but that's mainly on the 031. A lot is determined by where you can find parts in your area. I've been buying saws and parts for several years and generally know where the cheap stuff is and can kinda experiment..

boschitis strikes again.....ha don't overlook the spring barb that spikes into the coil wire for the spark plug....I have seen a 31 with no spark and that was the cause can get fried from arching...good luck

I resolved the problem. I found a used module off a 038 for $40.00. The saw runs great now that it has ignition. My $27.00 saw turned into a $77.00 saw (excluding my labor), but that's O.K. I enjoy fixing what others have (wisely) given up on. Thanks to those that replied to my post.

The Oregon module is to replace points. If your saw had a module in addition to the coil it could replace it I would imagine. I've only used them to replace points, using the points coil and flywheel.
From what information I've gathered the flywheel magnets are different between points and electronic (double magnet) ignition. I think factory electronic flywheel confuses the spark timing when used with a points replacement module.

From what information I've gathered the flywheel magnets are different between points and electronic (double magnet) ignition. I think factory electronic flywheel confuses the spark timing when used with a points replacement module.
Yeah, I think I remember there being a little symbol on the flywheel indicating that it is for electronic ignition. Most of the modules instructions say that it is not for multiple magnet flywheels. The saw I changed over had points so I just replaced them with the Nova II, I still had to advance the flywheel to get it to run right. An electronic flywheel might have helped, don't know..

Back