Stihl 020 AVP EQ rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now they're both set at just under 1 1/4 turn. Idle adjusting screw is @ 1 1/2. Guess I gotta scrounge through everything tomorrow, to find the place the B&C is hiding.

Just had quick check of prices on new over here. I saw them listed in the $200+ category for a fairly simple .325. I'll go to a dealer I know and see what deal he can make me :)

You're not too far out. I would see where the LA ends up when you get the B&C on. Without an idle it's going to be tough to diagnose a leak, without a pressure/vac test...

Today was a great day!
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZK0erOzyUg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZK0erOzyUg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I'm still trying to learn carburetor tuning, but at least the thing runs :clap:
Looked grim for a while, but persistence paid off. I haven't a clue what size B&C this has, but it looks like 13" tops (too tired to go measure it now). The chain looked in surprisingly good condition, but does need a good sharpen prior to use. I'm not doing a test cut or using the saw until I receive the replacement AV bolt I've ordered. Somebody had literally cut the old one off, but I was lucky and found a replacement on eBay.

After I gave the B&C a very good clean and lube, I reset the settings on the carb. Started with 1 1/2 on the idle and 1 3/4 on the L&H. After some tweaking I ended up with about 1 1/2 on the H and just under 1 3/4 on the L.

A fun fact about this project:
The fuel line was shot and I started using normal fuel line. This left a big gap in the tank and I couldn't put much mix in. The original molded fuel line was nowhere to be found, but... I decided to try MacGyvering and ended up with an 025 fuel line that I modified and adapted. The tank is now sealed and running without leaking, even with a full tank :greenchainsaw:

Now (after I get the carb sorted as best I can):
Out to find new saw(s) I can start work on. (LOL, CAD anyone?)
I think I'm going for one that has parts a little more readily available this time. This 020 is most likely not going to see much wood. I'll sharpen it up and do some test when I get the last parts but other than that, I'm just going to keep it as a "mantle piece". The spark of CAD.

To those of you who helped and advised on this thing: THANK YOU! If you're ever on this side of the lake, look me up. The beer is on me!

Today was a great day!
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZK0erOzyUg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZK0erOzyUg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

So....do you just hold on to the hand guard?

Good job on gettin her running.

So....do you just hold on to the hand guard?

Good job on gettin her running.
Right now I'm not touching the front part while she's running. I'm hoping the av mount is shipped tomorrow or monday. Should be here in just over a week (hopefully). Then I can get the last handle on and do a real test.

Nice job. At 22 in the vid, I noticed some chain slipping you might want to back off the LA screw SLIGHTLY. How are you tuning the L & H are you using a tach or by ear?

Nice job. At 22 in the vid, I noticed some chain slipping you might want to back off the LA screw SLIGHTLY. How are you tuning the L & H are you using a tach or by ear?
The slipping is gone. Backed out a 1/4 turn and all was well.
For now I'm just tuning by ear. I haven't got a tach, and I'm a bit afraid to see the price on a tach over here. Especially one that can pick up signals without a mark/plate on the saw. (If you know of a "cheap" one online, I sure would appreciate a link ;) )

Great working getting her running. Really enjoyed the thread. My 200T runs starts well, but starts leaking fuel after a minute of running and basically floods out. Won't restart immediately, but happily restarts an hour later.

Didn't have the burning need to get it right or the desire to open up what I believe is a can of worms but this post gives me hope that it can be done. Thanks!

Edit: It's an 020T.

thanks for all the pictures and posts.. i have used/am using it as a guide to get a 020AV professional up and going. It looks like it has a date of 1975 stamped on the carb. It's older than I am, got it to fire on a squirt of carb cleaner before i started taking it apart. I do agree with whoever said that splitting these things is a "Cast Iron BEEEEEEach". I'll start a new thread just showing some of my saw projects (just repair of old junk).

-doug

The fuel line they gave will likely not seal. You need that grommet to go into the tank. I recently bought a couple of those lines from my dealer.

I don't think new carbs are available for that model. No?

+1

You can use reg fuel line for impulse, but will need the OEM molded line for fuel pick-up.
Carbs are not available through dealer so be careful

Fun little saw to work on arent they!!.....LOL

thanks for all the pictures and posts.. i have used/am using it as a guide to get a 020AV professional up and going.

Same here! I have also repaired my 020 AVP following these instructions. Thanks a ton, I almost scrapped the saw before finding this site.

Latest posts

Back