stihl 024 wood boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
xp395lumberjack

xp395lumberjack

ArboristSite Lurker
I recently acquired an 024 wood boss. Its piston and cylinder are scored very badly. My stihl dealer shot me a price between $220 and $240 for new p/c. I usually don't buy oem p/c, but there is no aftermarket available for the 024WB. And it sounds like converting a 026 aftermarket p/c is too time consuming. Does the price he gave me sound step? If so where can I get one cheaper? Thanks

Stihlofadeal64

Stihlofadeal64

Addicted to ArboristSite
I recently acquired an 024 wood boss. Its piston and cylinder are scored very badly. My stihl dealer shot me a price between $220 and $240 for new p/c. I usually don't buy oem p/c, but there is no aftermarket available for the 024WB. And it sounds like converting a 026 aftermarket p/c is too time consuming. Does the price he gave me sound step? If so where can I get one cheaper? Thanks

The cylinder will usually clean up with muratic acid. There are several threads here, you can use the search feature. You can usually pick up an good aftermarket piston for around $30ish. The gasket for your cylinder OEM is usually less than $5.00. If you have $50.00 in repairing the top end I will be surprised.

Otherwise you need to determine why it is scored. I recommend doing a vaccum/pressure test for leaks before you pull off the top end. Lots of how- to threads for that as well. Hope you get it up and running. The 024 is a nice saw, it is my personal limbing saw. Happy Sawing!

joe25DA

joe25DA

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I had a 1986 024WB just like yours. P-C were deeply scored beyond salvage. The saw had open port transfers. I too got big $$$ quotes. I went with an after market windowed piston and a used closed port cyl both from the 'bay. I wound up selling it, but it ran well and was much cheaper to do. I also put a carb kit, intake boot, gaskets, fuel-pulse lines and new base gasket.

xp395lumberjack

xp395lumberjack

ArboristSite Lurker
I took pics but I guess each one is too big to upload. The piston and cylinder won't clean up. The rings are melted stuck to the piston. No clean up will fix this mess. The coating on the cylinder is also in terrible shape and is gone in some areas. I've been able to fix many saws by cleaning them too, but with this one that just won't work. I did find it interesting that only the exhaust side is ruined. The intake side is spotless looks like new!!

I broke the saw down so I know what I'm dealing with when I say the piston and cylinder are ruined.

Also putting an 026 crank in a 024WB would probably work. However the new 026 top end is taller than the 024 top end. Which means you have to replace the top shroud, and air filter cover for the 026 top end to work. Not worth the money or the time. I've done my research and read ALOT of the threads posted on the 024WB. It looks like oem or ebay route are my only options.

joe25DA

joe25DA

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I took pics but I guess each one is too big to upload. The piston and cylinder won't clean up. The rings are melted stuck to the piston. No clean up will fix this mess. The coating on the cylinder is also in terrible shape and is gone in some areas. I've been able to fix many saws by cleaning them too, but with this one that just won't work. I did find it interesting that only the exhaust side is ruined. The intake side is spotless looks like new!!

I broke the saw down so I know what I'm dealing with when I say the piston and cylinder are ruined.

Also putting an 026 crank in a 024WB would probably work. However the new 026 top end is taller than the 024 top end. Which means you have to replace the top shroud, and air filter cover for the 026 top end to work. Not worth the money or the time. I've done my research and read ALOT of the threads posted on the 024WB. It looks like oem or ebay route are my only options.

Sounds just like mine. Its scored in the ex side because that side gets hotter. If you do rebuild it replace your intake boot and fuel and pulse Lines, mine had a torn boot which caused a big air leak. The orig owner didn't seem to notice.

Latest posts