Stihl 024AVS Top End Rebuild Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icutmetl

Reaction score
I inherited my Dad's 024AVS Wood Boss, and it needs a top end rebuild. The cylinder is scored and it has low compression, but the rest of the saw is in really good shape.

I've read that I can use an 026 cylinder and piston on the 024AVS because it has the same stroke. My question is this- will anything else have to be modified to fit the larger cylinder like the plastic shrouding, etc? I don't want to cob anything together.

Thanks for your reply; I did a little more digging after my initial post and came across a thread where someone had modded an 024 and it showed him machining the cylinder to fit the original cover. I ordered an 026 big bore kit with Meteor piston off eBay, and will mill off the fins once it arrives. I may clean up the port some; nothing crazy, and I won't be messing with squish clearances. Will likely order a new muffler and carb/air filter/fuel line kit as well.

Piston and cylinder went on just fine; put it all back together in hopes of firing it up...just because...but it appears I lost the fuel pickup. I was going to order a carb kit and air screen anyway.

Can someone suggest a source or eBay seller in the US?

Definitive dave is a trusted us seller of oem and aftermarket parts. Sounds like ur on the right track with a fuel line and carb kit, a pulse line would be a good thing to do while ur in there.

Definitive dave is a trusted us seller of oem and aftermarket parts. Sounds like ur on the right track with a fuel line and carb kit, a pulse line would be a good thing to do while ur in there.
I would definitely do the impulse and check crank seals (if you can). Something caused the scoring, unless it was straight gassed, then it might happen again.

Latest posts

Back