Stihl 025 eats up starter rope!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zryder25

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 10 year old stihl 025, and the rope just suddenly started breaking on every 10 to 20 pulls. The rope is new and plenty strong, so i just want to know if there could be something wrong with the recoil itself?
Thanks

Was the replacement cord O.E.M.?

I have an 025 that did the same thing. I used a generic started cord that was bigger in diameter than the O.E.M. and it kept nicking something until it broke. I went to a differnt stihl dealer -Thall10326 and he gave me the correct size. Haven't had a problem since.

Sounds like some bad rope. CHINA????? Pull your starter cover and if all is well, rope winds up with no probs, I say crap rope. Or your compression is over 200 psi?????

Look for something hitting or rubbing it, or sharp edges that may make it fail.

I have an 025 that did the same thing. I used a generic started cord that was bigger in diameter than the O.E.M. and it kept nicking something until it broke. I went to a differnt stihl dealer -Thall10326 and he gave me the correct size. Haven't had a problem since.

You mean I cant use clothesline for starter rope. Dang:dizzy:

Back