Stihl 025 floods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purdyite

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working on this for a friend--it is clearly running too rich to the point that it slows and dies. Restarts with throttle held wide open--I adjusted the idle speed up and it still does it. I ran the carb through an ultrasonic cleaner. Carb only has low speed adjustment, and barely cracked open (less than 1/4 turn) it still dies. The only other adjustment I can think of is the metering lever under the diaphragm pump, but I checked with with the Walbro gauge. Also, would an aged, stiff diaphragm cause this? I can't think of anything else that would force too much fuel through besides the diaphragm and metering clearance or too rich low-speed setting. I'm open to any wise counsel out there. Thanks. (Or...do carburetors wear out?)

Eliminate guesswork by pressure testing the fuel inlet to the carb, that will tell you if the problem is with the inlet valve not sealing due to dirty seat, a bad adjustment of the control lever or a stiff diaphragm that's stuck in a position that holds the valve open. Should hold 7-10 psi.

Thanks for the replies...I pressure tested the inlet, would creep off of the 7 lbs. very slowly. I tried finding a carb kit locally, but ended up getting a new carb because no matter how I set the needle valve it would still back off so I figured it must be the seat that is bad or worn. I tested the new carb--it also won't hold the 7-10 lbs! So is it ok if it very slowly creeps down? The good news is that the replacement carb (Stihl OEM from a Stihl dealer) has a high-speed adjustment.

So where am I now? I will put the new carb on and see if it idles properly--will report back in a while.

Back