Stihl 025

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are going to play parts darts (my favorite technique) might I suggest the simple and cheap stuff first. New fuel line , filter, plug....carb kit or new fully adjustable carb. Vent line too perhaps. The saw needs this stuff anyway. And you will keep your costs low and rule out the simple things in the meantime.
Yeah, that's my plan: (1) try using a "cool-down" period before shutting it off; (2) new fuel line, filter, vent line & plug; (3) carb kit. Might do #2 & 3 even if the "cool-down" period seems to resolve the problem.
Thanks Mattyo,
Mark

HarleyT -- pulled the muffler and cylinder walls, rings and top of cylinder show no obvious signs of problems.

Not all dealers are alike but many of them want to sell you a new saw even if yours is very fixable. Any part on that saw can be replaced much more cheaply than buying a new MS250 or 251 whatever. Look at the prices of aftermarket parts on the bay and you'll see. I practically built a MS250 from scratch with AM parts and I'd say it's surprising how well it runs..
Two thumbs up to the above paragraph. I've rebuilt two 025's and saved two more from the landfills when the owners thought they were trash. All four run today, and my total cost was less than $180 for parts.

I received a MS250 today sitting in my driveway in a box. One of my wife's cousins brought it and 2 other parts saws I guess cause he was tired of messing with them. I had the 250 together and firing within a couple of hours but it has a couple of issues that need fixed, both handles had a bad crack in them which will need some JB Weld. I just poured some mix in the carb and it fired right off but I haven't put fuel in the gas tank yet.

Back