Stihl 026 Decomp button or not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to put a new top end on an 026. I would like some opinions. Is the decomp desirable or not?
Thanks for your help.

It's something thats not needed on 026/260.........but then again my Dad
is 70 yrs old and sure is a lot easier on his sholuder he say's. I do use it
it on mine from time to time.

TT

It's something thats not needed on 026/260.........but then again my Dad
is 70 yrs old and sure is a lot easier on his sholuder he say's. I do use it
it on mine from time to time.

TT

OK thanks, I guess I better face the fact that I will be 67 in a couple of months and have had a rotator cuff injury in my right shoulder. Rather not admit it but that won't make it go away, so I guess I better go with the decomp.:greenchainsaw:

Didn't think to tell you that Brad. I still act like I'm 35. Still do a lot of hard outdoor work too. But I love it, especially chain saw work, so what the heck, Might keep me healthy.

:greenchainsaw::chainsaw:

:agree2:

Probably wont hurt, I bought an old IH buldozer from a farmer south of me 5 years ago. The guy told me then that he was 82 and still planted 80-100 acers of corn and cut split and stacked 10 cord of wood a year. I figured he had to have a processor to do his wood as he could hardly walk but I spoted him splitting by hand a few months after I bought the crawler. He is one tough guy and still putting up all his own wood to this day, sure hope I'm able to do half that much in my mid 80's

As to the decomp, If I had a sholder injury I'd probably push the button on all my saws that have one too.

in the morning when things are nice and compression'ey you'll thank yer' wallet you got it i sure do.i've had that handle rip out of my hands a few times.

I plugged mine. But now the only way to start it is to drop start it. I would leave it in your case. You dont want to go tearing stuff again.

I never use the buttons, but my neighbor ex husky dealer says they are for taking stress off the stater as much as making the saw easier to start.

+1 for the de-comp. Never thought I would need it, but I like it now, it's simply easier, and my grip isn't what it used to be either.

in the morning when things are nice and compression'ey you'll thank yer' wallet you got it i sure do.i've had that handle rip out of my hands a few times.

Speaking of that, I had a 133 that would numb your hand if the compression jerked back against the pull rope. The guy that does my shop work remembers that saw too. He mentioned it the last time I saw him.

Last edited:
Do you have a hard time pulling that 7900 over? That 026 would seem like child toy after a 7900:)

If you use decomp. on 026/ms260 saws they take more pulls to start cold.

If you use decomp. on 026/ms260 saws they take more pulls to start cold.

Thats what I've noticed when trying to use it. I never try and start a cold one with the decomp. I really never use one, always forget. Though I did use the decomp on the 7900 when the mill is attached, that does make it easy.

Do you have a hard time pulling that 7900 over? That 026 would seem like child toy after a 7900:)

Well the 7900 has decomp, so always use it. I was wondering about the 026 because I am new to Stihl and is a much smaller saw. But the top end will be new, so I guess it might pull 160 PSI, but I don't know the specs and didn't see any in the repair manual either. So I came to you guys because a lot of people have experience and that's always better than a manual anyway.

Rotator cuff damage?

How about a PS-420 or MS 250 C-BE?

Oh the rotar cuff damage was several years ago. I mostly forget about it, and every once in a while when I am doing something tough I might think Hey better watch it. I have a PS 401 and am looking at an MS 211, but the big saws are my true love.

Back