Stihl 026 for $75.00????? HELP I"M BECOMING ADDICTED TO THIS STUFF!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's worth $75 for parts and those are mean little saws when muff modded and tuned!:msp_thumbup:

it's worth $75 for parts and those are mean little saws when muff modded and tuned!:msp_thumbup:

No doubt. He might have do drop some bucks in it if the p/c needs replaced. I don't know if the 026 had the L-only carb or not. Something else he'd have to buy if it does. I think those will pull a 20" b/c.

Bucking spikes or not!

Hey Mac,

Today the dealer was trying to talk me into removing the Bucking Spikes on my Poulan...says they are "over-hyped" and totally a waste of metal and that he buries his 41 in bar to the hilt and still has no need for them!!!:msp_rolleyes:

Refresh me on the importance of Bucking Spikes, Dogs or what ever they're called.

Thanks
Reg

No doubt. He might have do drop some bucks in it if the p/c needs replaced. I don't know if the 026 had the L-only carb or not. Something else he'd have to buy if it does. I think those will pull a 20" b/c.

Refresh me on the importance of Bucking Spikes, Dogs or what ever they're called.

Thanks
Reg

I don't know about everyone else but I use mine (single on my 025) as a pivot point when bucking or noodling. When I get the bar well into the wood, just push the spikes into the log, and lift the rear handle. Puts downward pressure on the bar to speed the cut. As I recall, your saw has a front muffler. If you're at full throttle, buried up to the hilt in wood with really dry bark, you're apt to have a fire on your hands. My advice? Leave 'em on. I'm sure one of our experts will chime in with the "true" use for bucking spikes. ;o)

Hey Mac,

Today the dealer was trying to talk me into removing the Bucking Spikes on my Poulan...says they are "over-hyped" and totally a waste of metal and that he buries his 41 in bar to the hilt and still has no need for them!!!:msp_rolleyes:

Thanks
Reg

Man, in the good old days I used to get enough bar in the timber to where the dog would get a good bite then just tilt the handle and let her rip on through.

It freed up my other hand to light a smoke...-seriously. I cut alot of big logs at times and used to smoke. -Couldn't have been without em! :msp_tongue: -Glad I kicked that habit

DAM!!:msp_scared:
Guess, I'll just step up before some of you "Vets"...make yer way to the deep south...of course you know already that I'd feel a hella va lot better if I had the knowledge and where with all you guys have!:(

But, I've read some really good reviews on the saw...and there is a Stihl Service Shop about 10 minutes down the road.
Hmm...now my Poulan is running a 20in bar & 50 ccs & this Stihl is 10-15 yrs old and only has 18in bar and runs 46 CC...somebody sell me on the advantages here other than the cheap price tag?:popcorn:

Will I be able to bury it in wood better than my Poulan?
Wonder how it will fare up against this mighty knarly batch of Hedge I just inherited?:D

Hey...I'm a tad green, but my biggest chore is making up some story for my wife...seeing how just bought the Poulan...maybe I'll just hide it in the garage...likes she hides them "NEW DRESS"S" in the back of the closet, HUH?:rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

BOYS....I'M ALL IN!!!...I"LL BE THERE IN THE MORNING COME HELL OR HIGH WATER....think I'll stop by and p/u Ole RED GREEN...and head to the woods!:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks
ReggieT

QUOTE=trophyhunter;3993819]Reggie, you got that saw yet? -People are plotting on your good fortune! :cool2:
[/QUOTE]

You actually had nothing to worry about from me. I'm Husqvarna to the bone, but trust me I know whats good for ya and it ain't a Poulan.

No, leave the spikes on the poulan. They are useul for digging in and cutting, and ALSO will help hold the saw away from closer contact, so the muffler gases have a better place to escape off to, PLUS poulan has a wee bit too long of a bar on there, whatever you lose to length is actually an advantage in this case.

Next, I'm a lime green lover, with that said, that's a heckuva deal, better grab that stihl man.

It pays to have a favorite, for learning the quirks and accumulating parts, etc., but not be blind to reality, too. All manufacturers can and have made great saws, and you should jump on any real good deals you find (given you have the spare cash to be tied up into a few saws now and then and not be hurtingor real bills), even if just to play with them a bit and resell them off down the road. Eventually, most likely, you'll settle on a set of saws that fit your cutting well. (hasn't happened to me yet, still just accumulating, but I cut with all of them, still need to try out quite a few more to made a descision on what I really want to keep and what can go)

Dude, #### or get off the pot.

Didn't mean to scare you into lock up mode. If its not BEAT, theres still $75 worth of parts. If its a running 026, double that +. Are you waiting for a 440 for $100 or what?

Far from being brain dead...and I'm a strong advocate for sound council/advice. Yet, I don't feel even remotely compelled to post every transaction I do in regard to saws or reply to every comment or suggestion. Bear in mind "only a fool utters his whole heart, a wise man holds his till later".

It's really kinda weird...I have this other life outside of the forest and chainsaws...and it's pretty fulfilling.:rolleyes2:

I'm straight...

Hey Reg? Are you brain dead or do you always dismiss good advice?

Far from being brain dead...and I'm a strong advocate for sound council/advice. Yet, I don't feel even remotely compelled to post every transaction I do in regard to saws or reply to every comment or suggestion. Bear in mind "only a fool utters his whole heart, a wise man holds his till later".

It's really kinda weird...I have this other life outside of the forest and chainsaws...and it's pretty fulfilling.:rolleyes2:

I'm straight...

WTG, Reg. :msp_thumbsup:

Let me help you out and remove any risk ReggieT... and no BS, my word is good.
Go buy that saw and if for any reason you're not happy with the purchase... or if ya' just change your mind... I'll pay you your $75 back (plus any taxes), pay shipping costs, and allow you a $10 profit on the deal... no questions asked. Best I could make out from those cell phone pictures that 026 has the "riveted" badges, which makes it an early one... should have the fully adjustable carb and the open exhaust.

Hey Reggie,

Are you familiar with the saying, "If you snooze you loose". I think that would apply to this situation. As others have said, this 026 is worth the $75 for parts even if it doesn't run. There is no downside to this deal, they don't happen often

Steve

This comment is not wholly saw related, but may help. I make many purchases with this theory, and it has always done me well.

Whenever I see a great deal on a wearable item I buy it. Typically for me this is cars or trucks, but can involve anything. I've learned that if you need something you will never get a good deal, because you don't have time to wait for it.

Since 2004 the most I've ever spent on a work car was $600. I've had 5 cars in the last 8 years, just added the cost up and its been $2200 out of pocket. 2 are still getting driven and should have a lot of miles left. One Lincoln town car for $500, currently has 150,000 and one Ford ranger 4x4 for $250 with 160,000 on it. Both needed work, but that cost is including parts when purchased.

This isn't wholly saw related, but think of the future. Your poulin isn't going to last forever. When it wears out replacing it will be more than $75. Replacing it now and using both saws will extend the life of both of them. Use the stihl for the grunt work, poulin for everything else. Also, having 2 saws in the woods is almost necessary sometimes. Ever misjudge a log and pinch a bar? Without some way to free it you may have a project on your hands. Its easier to cut a saw out than it is to hook a chain to a log and risk damaging equipment. I think its safe to say everyone here has had to cut a saw out, it happens.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

You all gotta remember one thing. The decision to buy or not is strictly up to Reggie. I can't speak for him, but I can envision several scenarios where buying it might be the wrong decision, at least for him. Like Gogolit says, "I'll decide". In this case Reggie will decide. Carry on.

Back