Stihl 026 not idling well

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck_D

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I just bought an 026 which will be here sometime next week. The gentleman i bought it off of did tell me about its idling problem. but it does run and cuts well. I bought it cheap and worse case scenario ill get my money back no problem just selling it as a parts saw. im basically looking for some info on what maybe causing this issue.. From what ive read, it could be numerous things, including, carburetor, gaskets/air leaks, bad fuel lines , fuel filters ect, scored piston.. I don't mess with small engines that much and this will be my first if if has to be broken down to possibly the piston , etc.. Im picking up a compression test kit today, would there be anything else i may need for testing purposes?

Were would you start on the trouble shooting this? Clean Carburetor? change plug? Replace fuel lines? Id like to systematically rule out certain things as i go along.

Im mechanically inclined and work on cars all the time but not so much on small engines, changed a few carbs here and there but thats it. From what ive read, these Stihl 026s are a desriable smaller saw which i would like to get running properly or even do a full rebuild if necessary but ive never done it which is why im here.

Also, what should the compression be on this particular saw?

Any help would be Great TY
Chuck D

Start your troubleshooting by returning the compression tester, then remove the muffler and inspect piston.
You can see part of the intake by looking in the exhaust port.
Remove the plug and look diagonally at the cylinder near the exhaust port.
There are other things to be done, but that’s the most expensive repair.
It will also give you an idle problem.
Without primary compression, everything falls apart.

But, it’s possible it could be as simple as an idle mixture/speed adjustment.

TY Stihl86.. I will remove the exhaust and the plug 1st and take a look once it arrives. I dont mind spending the money on rebuilding it, if it does need it. Ive been looking for one of these for awhile and it will be a good learning experience. Im in no rush,i want it done right..I will let you know once it arrives and what i find..

Good advice so far starting by checking condition of piston. Might as well do new fuel line and filter as well since they are still available new (really cheap too) from Stihl for the 260....just have to slightly enlarge hole in tank for the line to fit. Also air filter is available from Stihl too.

I has to do basic maintenance to mine to get it running right. Even when they are "right" idle quality can still be a bit weird from time to time. I've read they are prone to varying idle speeds when you set them down and pick them up. Mine does this quite often, but it really doesn't affect how it runs. These saws run great and cut awesome, definitely a go-to saw for me.

If you need help dialing it in, I'm not far from you in NH up 125. :cheers:

When you get the saw on your possession, pull the muffler and check the piston for scoring. Then check the fuel line line. Based on those 2 things, anything after that, we can walk you through it. In my experience, the 026's with the Wt194 carbs are the strongest runners stock.
TY Ed, This was basically the kinda help i was looking for... I can take anything apart... Its just putting it back together,, Lol

Keep in mind, there are many variations of the 026/MS260. Even with the fuel line, there is a large and small grommet fuel lines. Be patient and post pics before buying anything. One of my favorite saws. I see you got the attention of Jerry aka Pioneerguy600. Hes probably forgot more than I'll ever know about 026's. In other words.. your in good company.

Keep in mind, there are many variations of the 026/MS260. Even with the fuel line, there is a large and small grommet fuel lines. Be patient and post pics before buying anything
Will do Ed, ill wait on ordering parts.. I figured there was a few gurus here on this site. I bought an older 032av from this site about a year ago after using garbage saws forever.. I don't do alot of cutting but once i got that 032 i guess i was hooked.. I used it a few times already and was very impressed.. SO i was looking for something else that's a bit smaller and people here on this forum recommended the 026, thats why im here.

I see you got the attention of Jerry aka Pioneerguy600. Hes probably forgot more than I'll ever know about 026's. In other words.. your in good company.
THats awesome.. TY Jerry/PioneerGuy

Once you have the saw and are serious about getting it running correctly all the members here will help you find and fix anything on this saw. Some have many years of experience on them with varying degrees of builds and modifications.
Ty Pioneer guy, I appreciate all the help so far.. got some good info so far. I've come to the right place

Update, the saw will be here on Monday but... I just found another 026 right down the street from me in excellent condition for $200. ( i knew this was gonna happen). Anyway. I bought this saw from the original owners son.. His father bought it brand new and just recently died at 96 years old. He told his son not to sell it until after he passed away.. He must have really liked this saw, i dont know if i would have sold it but ill take and its a cool story. He also Gave me 3 stihl chains and the original paperwork. I will still look into fixing the other 26 once it arrives... Here some photos of the new saw i picked up today.20200917_174251.jpg20200917_174314.jpg20200917_174258.jpg20200917_174407.jpg20200917_174241.jpg20200917_174228.jpg

Latest posts

Back