Stihl 026 not starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithh255

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Sorry , wrong forum..

Hi all; Been awhile since Ive been on. Thanks to all who helped with my 38.
I recently picked up a 026 and it will not start. After some work I managed to get the carb out of the body.
Question is, should I go for a rebuild kit or should I try a cleaner of some sort. My 38 had a dried out diaghram according to the repair depot. I used a spray Honda card cleaner on it. Maybe this fluid was the wrong way to go.
Anyways, if anyone has a good idea or 2 please let me know.
Thanks Keith

Last edited:
I always try cleaning a carb before I rebuild it. If a cleaning works, then I'm ahead a few bucks. Are you sure its a fuel problem? If so, I start with fuel lines and fuel filter before I'd tear apart a carb.

HI Stonykill, thanks for your reply

When I first received the saw I tried new gas and pulling till my arm near fell off. LOL Good compression I'm sure.
Anyways, I did get fresh gas into the carb but not go. I will have a look at the fuel line as it does look frail.
I will also call today for a cost on a carb kit and see about that too.
Any ideas on a good fluid to dip this carb into overnite or did you mean blowing dirt out etc re cleaning.

Many thanks again Keith

When I first received the saw I tried new gas and pulling till my arm near fell off. LOL Good compression I'm sure.
Anyways, I did get fresh gas into the carb but not go. I will have a look at the fuel line as it does look frail.
I will also call today for a cost on a carb kit and see about that too.
Any ideas on a good fluid to dip this carb into overnite or did you mean blowing dirt out etc re cleaning.

Many thanks again Keith

so if I'm understanding correctly, you put fresh gas in the carb, and it wouldn't fire? If so, you have spark issues. How is the spark? Even if the plug fires in the open air doesn't mean that it will under compression. Seen this many times. Get good spark, then go from there.

I agree the plug is the first thing to check.If the carb isn't pumping fuel check the impulse hose And fuel filter.If that doesn't work , then you have to go in the carb.Check the screen& diaphrams.

RE Spark

HI ; Uh, you kow, I should probaby take the housing off and see if any oil has gotten up into the magneto-magnet setup. Maybe it is loose.

Thanks for the idea. Keith

Hmmm...

Try a new plug, if that doesn't give you spark and run even if gas needs to be splashed into the carb due to carb troubles too, then there is a good chance the coil is toast, but worth checking all the wires and the on off switch before ordering a new coil.

If a coil gets loose, it will crash into the fly wheel and you will know it happened. a bit of oil and sawdust about the coil won't do anything much other than hurt cooling.

Last edited:
Back