stihl 026 piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done a little research on the aftermarket piston scope and Tony is correct, all the pistons that Meteor is currently marketing are in fact manufactured in Italy. Now that being said, they did have a contract with a manufacturer in India for a number of scooter pistons. That contract began in 1973 and was due to run out in 1979 and was litigated in Indian courts due to the Indian manufacturer suing Meteor over some sort of contract breach (from the terms of the legal document I read there was a 'quality' issue). If you want to take a look at their parent company, they can be found here: http://www.metalwork.it/eng/index.html

I've done a little research on the aftermarket piston scope and Tony is correct, all the pistons that Meteor is currently marketing are in fact manufactured in Italy. Now that being said, they did have a contract with a manufacturer in India for a number of scooter pistons. That contract began in 1973 and was due to run out in 1979 and was litigated in Indian courts due to the Indian manufacturer suing Meteor over some sort of contract breach (from the terms of the legal document I read there was a 'quality' issue). If you want to take a look at their parent company, they can be found here: http://www.metalwork.it/eng/index.html

The Indian plant has been owned by Meteor for many years and is named "Meteor Satellite Pvt Ltd"

Many of the Tecomec pistons are made in Turkey.

Ducati has a lot of contracted parts made in former Soviet states.

It has been going on for years and is no secret but funny how these brand names seem to forget.

People often think that modern production is Merlin like.

Labor costs and material+fuel costs only allow for so low a product wholesale price.

Milan Italy is a very expensive place to produce castings but maybe they have the Italian magic wand perfected.

As I said I am not knocking the product at all just pointing put that the market is indeed global and has been for a long time.

A quality product does not have to come from any particular country.

I have sent an email to Meteor

I asked specifically about the lawn and garden after market pistons and where they are made.

I will post the response as soon as I get one.

Pes+ said:
People often think that modern production is Merlin like.

Labor costs and material+fuel costs only allow for so low a product wholesale price.

I'm with you there, I just couldn't find any other documentation tying Meteor and their parent company to an indian-made product. But it's not surprising.

Pes+ said:
Many of the Tecomec pistons are made in Turkey.

There must be damn fine engineers in Turkey, I've had Tecomec top ends that ran better than Mahle.

There must be damn fine engineers in Turkey, I've had Tecomec top ends that ran better than Mahle.

I beleive it's just QC and QA by companies that care.

AIP (and many other companies) tout themselves as 900x ceritified blah blah blah... it's meaningless unless the QA/QC rejects the out of spec stuff, and it stays rejected.

"I beleive it's just QC and QA by companies that care.

AIP (and many other companies) tout themselves as 900x ceritified blah blah blah... it's meaningless unless the QA/QC rejects the out of spec stuff, and it stays rejected"

Yup lots of iso certified pieces of crap out there.

Latest posts

Back