Stihl 026 PRO oiler adjustment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I run an 18" bar on my 026 and it oils just a little too much. I notice an excess of oil "slobbering" around the chain guard when it idles. Also, it uses almost all a full tank of oil to a full tank of gas. I would like to turn the oiler down some to insure that I don't run out of oil before I run out of gas. I know where the oil adjuster screw is located but should screw in to decrease oil flow or out and how many turns? I guess I'm not sure how responsive this adjustment screw is. I don't want to run a bar or chain by not knowing how much to adjust this screw. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

On my 260 Pro i run 16" bar. I had the same issue. Fill your oil tank, turn adjustment screw one full turn counter-clockwise (clockwise=more,) Fire up your saw and hold the bar's nose about 2 to3 inches away from a somewhat clean and dry surface. Hold WOT.... a very fine spray of oil should appear and progessively get darker. If it is spraying too much or too little adjust as needed. I run my chain a little on the wet side just to be safe.

On our 260 Pro, I think we've got it oiling all out. We run an 18" .325 but only go through 2/3 oil to each tank of gas.

Older 026's oil any time the engine is running. Pump drives off of the crankshaft

The screw should only move a quarter turn otherwise somethings wrong.

Another thing... the amt of oil you go through also depends on how/what you're cutting. If you're trimming/limbing small stuff, you'll sometimes run out of gas before using 1/4 of your oil. Other times, if you're blowing through some bigger diameter hardwoods, revving high RPMs, you'll go through oil much faster.

My oiler adjustment screw will turn around and around with out any stops either way as best I could tell. It oils great but just oils too much. What could be wrong if there is supposed to be a "stop"?

Oiler

I have the same question. Should there be stops in either direction? It doesn't feel like it in my 460 or 200. Did I turn them too hard?

I just finished a full rebuild on a 1990 026 and it oiled just fine but I just took it apart again to lighting up the cylinder more and I'm putting a adjustable oilier on it :msp_ohmy:

JMO

Back