Stihl 026 questions re carb repair or replace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithh255

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Guys; I have this 026 which I picked up last year. My brother inlaw says it ran maybe 2-3 years ago.
I cleaned up the mag generator and reset it. It sparks quite well. After reaching sore arm status several times I pulled the plug to verify no gas is getting to the spark plug. I reopened the card and it is completly dry, no gas anywhere. I replaced the carb membrane and float needle ( the needle had some shelac on it and was stuck closed and membrane was almost solid and no longer flexible).Everything else about this carb looks real clean, inside and out.
Ive gone over the saw and replaced the fuel line and filter, the line was cracked.
Still. no luck.
Anyways, Im going to go back out the the work shed this morning and soak that carb in carb cleaner and see if any blocked ports can be opened, ones I cannot see into.
At this point I need this saw to work. I figure I can take it in and worked on at $80.00 ++ an hour or just replace the carb myself.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Many thanks Keith
[email protected]
PS I have a parts manual for this saw but it does not cover the carb real well. No blow up picks etc., just adjustments info.

Just clean it - it will work... Squirt (with the red tube supplied) carb cleaner into the L needle hole - it should ooze out of the 3 L progression jet bores. Same into the H - with your finger ove the main jet in the metering chamber, it will come out of the main outlet valve. Watch your eyes from the cleaner squirting...

I've never had an 026 carb that couldn't be repaired..

Worst case, you can buy a brand new WT194-1 from any Walbro dealer for $41 MSRP.

I've enclosded the WT 426 IPL - the others are similar... Make sure you get the gaskets in the correct order!

Last edited:
Cleaning...

HI Lakeside.. Thanks for the reply. Does that mean I take the L and H srews out and spray or do I try from inside? Im sure you mean outside the carb but Im a bit new to it and want to be sure Im getting it right.

Thanks Keith

You take the screws out - can't clean a carb with them in..

Use the search feature on AS - many carb rebuild examples - some very detailed with picures...

Hi Lakeside33

Well, had it apart, sprayed it well and then I let it soak for an hour. Just retrieved it from the fluid, dried it a bit and remounted it.
Pulled with and without the plug in but still no go. No gas to the spark area at all.
I called around for a carb and they want $135.00 before taxes. Some kind of legal robbery I guess if I pay it.
Im giving up on this carb for now, unless Im missing some sort of startup procedure.Any ideas on where I could get one online?

Thanks Keith

What settings do you have the screws at? If you have the carb completely apart, I believe you have to put the adjustment screws in all the way and then back them out X number of turns to start out with... but I don't know what X is. Maybe open them up quite a bit and see if you get fuel that way?

Did you check the impulse hose for leaks? If it's bad, you wont pump gas to the jets. Mark

Take the carb apart again, remove the needle again, hold the carb up to
a light, and visually inspect that passage.

Hey guys

First, I set the L adn H one turn out , per the manual.
Next, I did not check the impulse hose for leaks as it is easy to see but hard to get to. If I take the body apart I may be able to get to it. Is that the easy way to go?

I will go back out after lunch and look a the impulse hose and pull the carb to verify the needle port is clear.

All good ideas...Thanks Keith

I just did this yesterday. Removing the impulse hose is the easy part; reinstalling it is the PITA. You have to separate the handle part from the crankcase part so you can get your fingers in there (or some tools) and get the hose back in place. But it's a very important thing to check, so just realize that you may need to exercise quite a bit of patience, and have a cold beer standing by. :)

HI guys

Well. I have the carb in front of me and the needle port is clean. One less thing to look at , thanks Fish.
Well Novaman, that hose is the Pita for sure lol.
I will round a new one up and have a try at it.

By the way, I still have a need to find out the cost of a new carb..wt 194...If anyone has an online web link I would appreciate knowing about it.

Thanks Keith

Did you replace the fuel filter??

What about the fuel line???

Inlet screen in the carb??

Check the simple stuff first ya know. ;)

Ooops sorry missed that part. :cheers:

Try this, while you have the carb off the saw put a drop of mix oil in the end of the impulse hose where the carb plugs in and pull the saw over and see if the oil gets sucked in or blown out.

Also what did the end of the mixture screws look like when you pulled them out?? Sometimes those little passages are a PIA to clean out, did they pass the spray test??

Another good replacement carburetor is the 426A. It does not have quite the adjustment as the 194 but is still said to be a good carburetor. I just bought one off ebay from this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130248017711&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Send a message to the seller and ask if he will put up another auction..........or he may already have another auction running. He does not have any WT-194-1 carburetors in stock.

There was another place I had a wt-194-1 ordered from but they were back-ordered. I have been waiting for 3 weeks and they are still on backorder. That carburetor was going to be around $46 after shipping.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do. And do a search on this site for the 426A........Lakeside has recommended it more than once, so it must be a good alternative to the 194-1.

Waylan

HI Erick

Yes, The holes where the 2 adjust screws came out were real clean, much the same as the rest of it.
Ill get back out the to shed as soon as I can and see if the impulse line does anything at all with oil...
Thanks

Keith

Going through the opposite situation as you. Too much gas through mine flooding the saw. I just rebuilt the carb on my 260 last night, although it is the WT-403A. I'm not sure why you aren't getting any fuel, but I found this link on another post for a WT-194 carb when trying to chase down my problem.

http://www.psep.biz/store/walbro_wt_carburetors.htm

I have never done business with them, but the price is a lot less than what you were quoted. $39.95 plus 6.95 shipping.

Good luck.
Tim

Latest posts

Back