Stihl 026 questions re carb repair or replace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI Walexa07, Fish. Erick

I had a look at this 426A carb web link and I dont see the impulse line coming off the top otherwise it appears to be exact replacement carburetor for mine. Adjust screws are in the right place.. I see the ebay guy already has one listed...
I wonder if that option is built in or a line goes from some other location? Maybe Ercik can answer as he is using one...

Well Fish, let me know if you have one..

Thanks guys,,,

Keith Have you tried to fire the saw to make sure it will even start or run. If the crank seals are shot it will not generate enough crankcase pressure to get a pulse and no carb new or old will give it fuel.

Try putting a teaspoon of mix down the carb and see if it will start, set the saw to the half throttle position have your thumb ready on the switch and when/if it starts try to kill the saw by choking it (you will need to have the trigger full throttle to engage the choke)... if it continues to rev out and scream flip the switch up and shut it down. (this will all happen pretty quick so be ready)

(For safety’s sake I'd suggest doing this with out a bar and chain.)

Let us know what you find.

I had a look at this 426A carb web link and I dont see the impulse line coming off the top otherwise it appears to be exact replacement carburetor for mine. Adjust screws are in the right place.. I see the ebay guy already has one listed...
I wonder if that option is built in or a line goes from some other location? Maybe Ercik can answer as he is using one...

Well Fish, let me know if you have one..

Thanks guys,,,

I haven't looked at the carb in question but they all (are supposed to) have the impulse connection.

Hi Erick

Yes, when this all began a weeks ago I did just that. I put some fuel in, put the plug back in and it wanted to fire right away. That is what gave me hope that I was close to fixing it.

You said in an earlier write that you have used the 494 in place of the 194. What did you do for the impulse line?

Thanks Keith

That pic on the auction is probably a stock photo (it's the same for all of his carb auctions) and not the carb that is for sale in the auction or the one he is going to send you. He has a 7 day money back guarantee so might be worth a try.... well under what your local thief wants. :laugh:

Keith,

Erick is right.........that is a stock photo, not to be confused with actual. A 426A should be a 426A. $20 to your door is pretty dang cheap in my opinion. Heck, used rebuilt ones cost more than that on ebay w/o shipping added.......I think I saw one for $22 without shipping. Mine should be here in a couple days, but if you think you want it I would go ahead and get it before he runs out.

The psep.biz website is where I have had a 194-1 ordered for a few weeks, maybe around a month, and they are still backordered. I have cancelled my order since I found the 426A.

Waylan

Ebay guy does not ship north it seems

HI; I had another look at his site and he states 2 different locations that he does not ship outside the US. too bad..

I did find 194 at online 41.00 ..that is the exact one at least..

Im going out shortly to test the impluse line...see what it does,...

Keith

Keith, where did you find the 194 for $41?

If you can't get this sorted out I could order a 426A for you and ship it to canada, but you would be out the extra shipping from me to you........and the time delay.

Did you try to send the ebay seller a question to see if he would consider shipping to canada? Sometimes they will if asked nicely.

Waylan

Walexa07 and Fish

Well, I might if he shipped north...hmmmm

Well Fish, Im out of luck on that on..lol thanks for looking

Im going out to test the impulse line...will report back a bit later...

Cheers

Keith

Yes, when this all began a weeks ago I did just that. I put some fuel in, put the plug back in and it wanted to fire right away. That is what gave me hope that I was close to fixing it.

You said in an earlier write that you have used the 494 in place of the 194. What did you do for the impulse line?

Thanks Keith

Sorry was called away on important business........ little girl wanted to paste me with stickers. :laugh:

Just because the saw sputtered is not an indication that all is well. Putting fuel in the plug hole is guaranteed to fire if you have spark. What you need to know is if the crankcase is sealed or not. A teaspoon of mix is enough make the saw scream up into the rpms for a second or three. The only thing that limits a 2 stroke is fuel and air, that’s why I said to try killing the saw with the choke.

BTW I wasn’t thinking about it being an 026, the choke is built into the air filter. No need for the half throttle position or full throttle to choke. Just leave the filter off and stick your thumb over the carb when it starts, and be ready to hit the kill switch, just don’t hit it to hard in all the excitement..... on the 026 you can push the kill switch past the spring with the cover off.

If the crankcase is sealed properly choking it (with you thumb) will starve the engine for air and it will die, if it continues to shoot for the moon it’s drawing air through a leak in the case and you'll want to shut it down with the switch before it becomes a hand grenade.

Also have you checked the compression on the saw?? Preferably with a gauge, but you can hold it up by the start rope for a minute and see if it will hold it's own weight, if the saw slowly drops you'll know you have compression issues (not a good or accurate test but will give you an indication)

Heh Guys

I went back out and put a compression tester ( read cheap..lol) on the impulse line and got no response on the meter. I did not find the oil can as planned so I thought this would ba a good second. Because of the kickback this thing gives, I tried a few pulls then pulled the plug..same results...could be the cheap meter..
I also tried , the hard way, to blow and pull air through the impulse port on the carb...not much action but I thought i could hear the the inside diaphram working a bit.
Anyways, I will put this aside for the night and get going again in the morning.
This time I will do the gas in the carb trick and see what reponses I get.

Thanks to all for your time.... I will update as soon as I get going..Im out for the next 2 -3 hours

Cheers Keith

Heh Erick

I used a old type compression tester. It does have a moving needle so I though if the impulse can pull the needle we are on

Anyways. no go on that...but I will use it tomorrow on the engine itself,

CHeers

Keith

The impulse hose only has a few pounds of pressure, it would take a pretty sensitive gauge to read it.

Heh Erick and fellow travellers

Hi Guys Looks like Ericks idea should be put in the new section called,,Startup procedure for new or rebuilt carbs,...
I did as Erick suggested and , usign a small syringe was able to squirt some gas into the carb....Wow,,,what a difference..it wanted to go....
So..figuring this baby would likely use a bit more before it could draw its own up through the carb, I gave her another good one....lol
Well, end of story. A more turns on the carb adjusters and another Stihl is reborn...honking....thats all I can say...

Thanks to all who put their ideas forward....they were all great for beginners like me..

Much appreciated....!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks and until next time....Have a Beer on Me !!:greenchainsaw: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Back