Stihl 026 Time Capsule

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for being so late on this thread. I just got in a Stihl 026 Pro from a guy who told me that it's been sitting on the shelf, dead for five years. He said it ran and died, ran and died, etc. It looked good to me, even if covered with dust and grime. Without checking anything, I cleaned it up and made it look good because I figured I could save it regardless.

I sharpened the chain, redressed the bar, cleaned the muffler spark screen, and all seemed OK. Then I checked the spark plug. It was not even thumb tight. So, I removed the plug, cleaned it, and set the gap.

After a prime to the carb, the saw started and ran almost perfectly. I tuned it up a trifle, but I must admit that I wish I owned this saw. Can you imagine that this saw sat on the shelf for 5 years and was almost thrown into a landfill, only because it had a loose spark plug?

Nice save Edwin, you should have made him an offer, you'd enjoy an 026 in that stable of saws.

Or gently used, and it looks like it's been dropped out of a tree and ran over by a skid loader.

Nice save Edwin, you should have made him an offer, you'd enjoy an 026 in that stable of saws.
It may not be lost. I've made several calls to say it's fixed. Good grief, it may eventually be mine, but I'll set it aside for awhile. The Stihl 026 PRO is a fabulous chain saw. Look at it this way. I would buy it back from the owner for $200 cash today.

They are just a work of art, Whiskers. I got a bigger place in my heart for the 026 than any other saw. Many feel this way about the Stihl 026. The 346 XP might meet Stihl's match, but they are fine saws.

Owning both, I can admit the 026 is a turd compared to the 346, but the 026 was my first saw and will always have a place on my shelf.

The Pro version features a decompression button and an adjustable oiler. All else is the same.

I was having issue with the 026 Pro I acquired, and not having time to check it out, asked a friend to fool with it.
It was sucking air somewhere, we assumed a fuel line was dry-rotted/cracked from it siting so long. He text me earlier today as I had mentioned possibly ordering a carb kit as well-

"We can order a full Walbro carb kit, OEM Stihl fuel line and impulse line, Or I can get a new fully adjustable Walbro (yours is a fixed jet carb, the hi speed is not adjustable, you have to change jets to adjust hi speed)."

I am 1000% sure what he says is fact; is it common for these saws not to have an adjustable carburetor?

Edit: the site had been down, and I'd been trying to ask this question 2 hrs while the site has been down.

Thank You,
hseII

"100% of Home Invasions Occur in a Home" - Sharpsburg

Last edited:
Yes, the later models came with a walbro carb that lacked the ability to adjust the high speed jet. You will eventually want to replace your carb with a walbro 194.

Yes, the later models came with a walbro carb that lacked the ability to adjust the high speed jet. You will eventually want to replace your carb with a walbro 194.

I'm assuming that to be the adjustable version....

hseII

"100% of Home Invasions Occur in a Home" - Sharpsburg

Owning both, I can admit the 026 is a turd compared to the 346, but the 026 was my first saw and will always have a place on my shelf.
I own a ported 550xp and ran both side by side and I by no means would go as far as calling it a turd, it's actually a very nice handling saw that wakes right up with a muff mod.

Latest posts

Back