Stihl 028 AV Super flooding - help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubicon

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I was given a nice Stihl 028 AV Super that hadn't run in a while. I started by doing a compression test and pulling the muffler to check the piston. Like new. I then checked the ignition with a small engine ignition tester (wide gap) and it tested fine. So I replaced the impulse line, intake boot, fuel line and rebuilt the carb (Tillotson HU).

When I start the saw, it floods out immediately, BIG TIME. Fuel just sprays out the air intake as if the choke was on. (I removed the air filter to eliminate the choke possibility.)

I am stumped. I am not a "parts swapper," but out of desperation I swapped out the ignition coil just to make sure and the saw still flooded out. I even checked for a sheared flywheel key and it was fine.

The only way I can make it run half decent is to lower the carb's fuel metering lever WAAAAAAY down, and even then, it doesn't run well at all.

Anyone ever run across such a problem. I mean the fuel just SPRAYS out the intake.

Thanks.

If sure someone with more experience can go into details but I'm pretty sure you messed something up on the carb rebuild. My first thought is the metering diaphragm, but there's also the inlet control lever. Something in there is keeping the needle open.
Do you need a IPL for the 028 to help with the carb? If so PM me with your e-mail.
Good luck:givebeer:

did you put the gasket on carb body 1rst , and then the diaphram. it will flood if diaphram is on 1rst

Latest posts

Back