Stihl 028 Carb Replacement Question or does someone have a good working carb to sell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
logeeland

logeeland

ArboristSite Operative
So I have a bad carb. After a month of fiddling with it. Checking vacuum and pressure top and bottom, tank vent replacement, tried a new coil, rebuilt the carb, took the old car apart again and ran it through the ultrasonic cleaner 4 more times I gave in and brought it to my local shop. There is a known issue where a check valve in the carb body goes bad. So I can buy OEM for $80 but I think for this saw aftermarket is ok. So what have people used and what would people recommend.

Also, does someone have a known good working carb they would like to sell? I can easily rebuild it from the good kit on put into the bad carb.

Thanks!

Jeff

tickhound93

tickhound93

ArboristSite Guru
Wt16a, I can look. If you need a known good carb to use to put on the saw to verify it is carb, let me know, I can pull the carb off my old old faithful 028 and let you borrow it if it would help you out.

logeeland

logeeland

ArboristSite Operative
Wt16a, I can look. If you need a known good carb to use to put on the saw to verify it is carb, let me know, I can pull the carb off my old old faithful 028 and let you borrow it if it would help you out.
Thank you for the offer but I am all set. I ordered a tillotson carb from eBay this evening. I did do what you offered. Well I had my local dealer do it. I have been working on the saw for 3 months and got tired of kicking it around. They confirmed my thoughts. The Tillotson is brand new and should be here this weekend.

tickhound93

tickhound93

ArboristSite Guru
Thank you for the offer but I am all set. I ordered a tillotson carb from eBay this evening. I did do what you offered. Well I had my local dealer do it. I have been working on the saw for 3 months and got tired of kicking it around. They confirmed my thoughts. The Tillotson is brand new and should be here this weekend.
Good deal. No oneikes to be a parts swapper, but so etimes you gotta try

tickhound93

tickhound93

ArboristSite Guru
I have done it myself if I have the parts lying around. I do it in my day job and in my saws. Very different types of parts too! Sometimes it is the easiest way to diagnose issues.
Tell me about it. Had to ask a neighbor to my dad if I could use his 4whheeler to test and swap electrical components onto a customer unit. Found out manual specs and wiring diagrams were wrong compared to actual wiring. How does a guy bill that one? Lol

logeeland

logeeland

ArboristSite Operative
Tell me about it. Had to ask a neighbor to my dad if I could use his 4whheeler to test and swap electrical components onto a customer unit. Found out manual specs and wiring diagrams were wrong compared to actual wiring. How does a guy bill that one? Lol
Extra hour of labor to cover the case of beer to give to the neighbor?