Stihl 028 - Lesson Learned

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scandy14

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My neighbor asked me to look at his saw, said it would start, then die. He said he tried to adjust the carb, with no luck.

When I get the saw, I adjust the card to the initial settings, and give it a try, sure enough it starts then dies.

I'm thinking, fuel delivery problem................

I replaced the spark plug, fuel, impulse and vent hoses, fuel filter, install a carb kit, clean the air filter and give the saw a good cleaning.

After I have everything back together, I give her a try again and it's doing the same thing, starts, then dies.

I decide to disassemble the carb again and let it soak a few days in Coleman Fuel.

This morning I reassembled the carb, checking to make sure everything was correct.

Tried to start the saw and it started right up! Adjusted the carb, and it idles good. (I had not installed the air filter yet) Shut the saw off and re-started several times with no problems.

I then installed the air filter, tried to start and it's doing the same thing again, starts, then dies!

I take the air filter off, open it up and discover the spring that holds the choke flapper is missing.

That explained why the saw would start, then die. The flapper was cutting off the air supply to the carb.

Tom Hall advised that he had run into this problem on a 028 in his shop and also mentioned the 038 and 034 use similar type air filters that have the spring in the air filter.

Just wanted to share this problem with my chainsaw brethren in case any of you may experience this. Maybe it will save you some time and frustration.

My neighbor asked me to look at his saw, said it would start, then die. He said he tried to adjust the carb, with no luck.

When I get the saw, I adjust the card to the initial settings, and give it a try, sure enough it starts then dies.

I'm thinking, fuel delivery problem................

I replaced the spark plug, fuel, impulse and vent hoses, fuel filter, install a carb kit, clean the air filter and give the saw a good cleaning.

After I have everything back together, I give her a try again and it's doing the same thing, starts, then dies.

I decide to disassemble the carb again and let it soak a few days in Coleman Fuel.

This morning I reassembled the carb, checking to make sure everything was correct.

Tried to start the saw and it started right up! Adjusted the carb, and it idles good. (I had not installed the air filter yet) Shut the saw off and re-started several times with no problems.

I then installed the air filter, tried to start and it's doing the same thing again, starts, then dies!

I take the air filter off, open it up and discover the spring that holds the choke flapper is missing.

That explained why the saw would start, then die. The flapper was cutting off the air supply to the carb.

Tom Hall advised that he had run into this problem on a 028 in his shop and also mentioned the 038 and 034 use similar type air filters that have the spring in the air filter.

Just wanted to share this problem with my chainsaw brethren in case any of you may experience this. Maybe it will save you some time and frustration.

Thanks, thats one that I never run into I"ll watch for.

Back