Stihl 028 WB Rebuild | Full Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im gonna leave the pic posting to dan when he unwraps them hell be like a kid at christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't that stupid brown truck guy just take forever!? Lol

Christmas came early to Idaho this evening. Amazing PC work done by Mike (glock37)!

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-43.jpg

I think the tank handle looks better than it did when new.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-44.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-45.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-46.jpg
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-47.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-48.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-49.jpg

PC'd the muffler. The saw will be a shelf queen since it holds a lot of sentimental value. But the high heat PC is good to 800 F. I'll use it on a future build with a saw that will be a user, to see how it holds up.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-50.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-51.jpg

After ogling the freshly powder coated parts for too long, the first order of business was to chase all the threads on the freshly PC'd parts. For Father's day my wife and kids got me a Starrett tap wrench and several metrics taps to fit the saw.

It took about 20 minutes to do the four pieces with threaded holes.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-52.jpg

I then went to cleaning up the PC flash and the mating faces. The bar mounting face on the crankcase had PC on the lip below the chain adjustment bolt socket. I don't know if the thickness of the PC would tilt the bar slightly from plumb, but I thought it best to remove it and smooth the entire face as well. Put some 320 wet dry on a flat granite slab and honed it down.

You can see how the beadblast roughs up the surface. Here's the before:
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-53.jpg

And the after:
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-54.jpg

You can see PC flash here on the edges of the mating face. I need to remove the oil pickup connector tube from the crankcase so I can get rid of the flash and true up the mating face. 10 minutes of wiggling it back and forth didn't get it any further out. Time to get the torch.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-55.jpg

Oil connector came loose after adding a few degrees with the torch. And the mating surfaces have been trued up with 320 and then 600 grit.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-56.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-57.jpg

I've built up the handle/tank with the exception of the electrical and a period correct fuel cap that I'm waiting to be delivered. I put a dab of blue threadlock on the carb bolts.
The bearings are in the deep freeze and will be installed next.

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-58.jpg

Success on the clutch side with the special bearing. Heated case to 250 F in the oven and cooled the bearing in dry ice. It fell right it. I held the bearing down until it heated up and seated. It's tight with no moment.

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-59.jpg

On the flywheel side bearing I put it on the crank first. Then heated the bearing up and and put the crank in dry ice. It slide right on.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-60.jpg

Then I put the crank & bearing in the dry ice and the case in the oven. 20 minutes later the bearing and case slide right on. There's no wiggle to the crank, so I feel good about it.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-61.jpg

Next up is putting the new oil pickup connector on the clutch side of the case and then the gasket and putting the crankcase together.

Back