Stihl 028 wb to Super - Huztl build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sven556

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been using an older stihl 028 wb this year and it has done a decent job; but I think it is time that it was rebuilt. So I ordered a new 028 super cylinder from Huztl; along with a few other items. So far my main concern is the cylinder. I know it is not up to par with oem. My main issue is with the intake. I see a lot of cylinders with what I would consider extra material around the left side and lower portions of the intake. (see the stock pic on Baileys site for an 028 super cylinder). So, I proceeded to grind away excess material on my new Huztl cylinder to improve the airflow into my new cylinder. Well, after looking at many pics of oem cylinders it appears this is a stock feature. Did I ruin my new cylinder? I didn't change the port windows any. so the timing should be the same.

Other than the new cylinder: I will be replacing the antivibe mounts, crank seals (if needed), and impulse hose with huztl components. The new fuel line will be oem, only because huztle doesn't have one for the 028.

Attachments

• Stihl028Cylinder.jpg
    Stihl028Cylinder.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 61
I think Stihl put the "blockage" on the carb side of the intake (D-shaped opening) for 028/038 to direct the flow first up after passing through the boot then down into the crankcase when it reaches the port.

Why not use a OEM stihl gasket set that comes with seals?

Let us know how it runs and lasts.

I'm interested in how it runs and lasts also! I don't rely on a saw. I don't heat with wood yet. I use it to clear downed trees and clear fence rows and small wood lots. It may take awhile to see if it really lasts! I also have an 009L that I can use if this one breaks down. I'm not buying the oem seals just because I want to see if the huztl stuff will work and last. I will note that I will only be replacing things that are worn out. If the crank seals still pass pressure and vac tests, I will leave them in. I'm not sure if I will replace the fuel line yet, but I did see on ebay that huztl does have a fuel line for the 028, I didn't see it on their site.

Don't bother replacing the fuel line with one from Huztl. I've been extremely happy with all the other parts from them so far (built an entire saw actually), but the fuel lines in particular have always given me trouble. Too stiff and never seal well. Oil lines, I've had better luck with, but still prefer oem.

Work is in progress on this saw! I have all new av mounts in and they look and feel good. Impulse line looks good. I didn't replace the intake manifold because it looks great and has no cracking or any indication that it may fail, new piston and cylinder look good.

I did order a new huztl fuel line, to test out, but taking Mac&H's advise, I'll keep a close eye on it and be ready to replace it.

I am looking at a new air filter. Has anyone tried one from Huztl? It looks wire mesh. Are there any good aftermarket 028 air filters?

I vac/pressure tested the saw after I installed the new piston and cylinder and the flywheel side crank seal was leaking. I received new parts from huztl today and installed the new seal and it held pressure and vacuum. Looks like I need to finish assembling the saw and see how everything has turned out. Hopefully I can get some decent run time on it!

Work is in progress on this saw! I have all new av mounts in and they look and feel good. Impulse line looks good. I didn't replace the intake manifold because it looks great and has no cracking or any indication that it may fail, new piston and cylinder look good.

I did order a new huztl fuel line, to test out, but taking Mac&H's advise, I'll keep a close eye on it and be ready to replace it.

I am looking at a new air filter. Has anyone tried one from Huztl? It looks wire mesh. Are there any good aftermarket 028 air filters?

I vac/pressure tested the saw after I installed the new piston and cylinder and the flywheel side crank seal was leaking. I received new parts from huztl today and installed the new seal and it held pressure and vacuum. Looks like I need to finish assembling the saw and see how everything has turned out. Hopefully I can get some decent run time on it!
I would assume the air filter on the 028's are fine from huztl. On my 361 they have like a flexible gasket around the perimeter where it seals, and that rubber isn't flexible in the least. Yes that air filter was usable, but a huge annoyance to put on. Don't think the 028's have any gasket material on the air filter's so you should be fine. Another thing to keep in mind seeing as it looks like a screen/mesh, is that the particle size is going to be bigger getting through. I intend to use the oem on my saw for summer use, and keep the one that came with the kit as a winter/spare filter.

It depends on how the filter was made. I have a made in Italy filter I bought for my 08s that had two layers of fine mesh on top of each other. The didn't line up with each other so that it cut the particle size that would pass through in half. The huztl filter probably isn't done like that. You could probably glue on some filter material to make it work better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using an older stihl 028 wb this year and it has done a decent job; but I think it is time that it was rebuilt. So I ordered a new 028 super cylinder from Huztl; along with a few other items. So far my main concern is the cylinder. I know it is not up to par with oem. My main issue is with the intake. I see a lot of cylinders with what I would consider extra material around the left side and lower portions of the intake. (see the stock pic on Baileys site for an 028 super cylinder). So, I proceeded to grind away excess material on my new Huztl cylinder to improve the airflow into my new cylinder. Well, after looking at many pics of oem cylinders it appears this is a stock feature. Did I ruin my new cylinder? I didn't change the port windows any. so the timing should be the same.

Other than the new cylinder: I will be replacing the antivibe mounts, crank seals (if needed), and impulse hose with huztl components. The new fuel line will be oem, only because huztle doesn't have one for the 028.
I think Oregon has fuel lines for the 028 if you don't want to pay OEM price..

I'm still waiting on the fuel line and clutch side crank seal... I figured if I was going to test the huztl stuff I should go all out and replace everything! We'll see how it goes once I get and install everything. Still undecided on the air filter, I may just run the stock filter for awhile yet, at least until my next order to huztl!

I replaced the fuel line with the new huztl line and it didn't seal the tank. The grommet diameter is too small and I can easily spin the fuel line while it is seated in the hole through the tank. So, I inspected the oem fuel line and it looked good so I reinstalled it. Installing the clutch side crank seal took a few attempts and a few seals. A hint to anyone new to replacing seals, wrap some thin plastic sheeting around the shaft and drive the seal in over the plastic. I didn't and the lip of the seal caught on the step on the crankshaft and rolled out causing me to buy more seals.

I did get everything put back together and fired it up. Didn't have much time to fiddle with adjustments. Hopefully I can get to try it out in some wood soon. I'm still wondering how opening up the intake on the cylinder is going to affect it, good or bad.

Yep, fuel and oil lines have never done well with me either. Good idea with the seals. Soda cans is another good material to use also.

I've heard of using soda cans but, I was wondering how to use one and not cut the seal with the sharp edge on the aluminum.

I spent some time tuning this saw today. It runs pretty well now, idles fine, revs up with just a hint of hesitation that I wasn't able to get rid of. The one issue I noticed is that at WOT it surges. I barely noticed it as I wasn't cutting wood and I was trying not to hold WOT for very long. I did have a bar and chain on. Any ideas what would cause surging? It was repeatable with the same amount of time and duration of the surges.

I cleaned the carb and put a kit in about 3 months ago. The saw was always hard starting and seemed low on power since I bought it about 6 months ago, so about a month ago I decided to rebuild it.

In the back of my mind, I keep wondering if opening up the intake on this new cylinder has messed things up. I didn't change the ports or anything too drastic. Maybe the easiest place to start is to clean the carb again. Or, is the original carb too small now that I have a super cylinder, with an opened up intake, on the saw?

Just so I can understand it; can anyone explain what causes surging? Thinking about it some; it could be similar to throttling up and down... not sure how a carb would mimic that.

I just looked through the pictures of the carb model I took. This saw has the older Tillotson HU 40 carb.

Just went in the garage and looked at my 028S. Could've sworn it had a tilly, but definitely a Walbro.

That said, I can't imagine that a few cc's or a little bigger port opening would require a bigger carb throat. Maybe a hair richer tune...

I'll have to check for that screw later. Might as well clean the whole thing while I have it off. Thanks!

Ok, I cleaned the carb out tonight, put everything back together, and no change. The saw still surges at WOT. I did not find a brass flat-head cylinder screw looking thing. I did notice that the metering diaphragm was one of the tan mesh looking type. How do those usually hold up? I think I normally try to use the black or blue plastic ones.

If nothing else, I may try a new cylinder. One that I haven't messed with!

One last note, I put on new huztl fuel and oil caps. Both appear to be leaking! Although, I haven't tried snugging them up with the scrench yet!

Latest posts

Back