Stihl 028 WB wont start after overworking the saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The compression tester I have is for auto engines. The plug adapter is to long to allow full stroke of the piston but using that tester it did hold compression.

I can't give you an accurate pressure due to the incomplete stroke but it does hold pressure.

Hi fellas,

I have this old Wood Boss I inherited from my wifes grandfather. It used to be a stubborn starting saw, but I replaced the fuel filter, spark plug, and air filter a couple weeks ago and it has been kicking on second pull regularly. So this afternoon I was cutting up firewood and the blade was nice and sharp, spitting out chips like it should when I got to this really knotty crotch section and regretfully decided to go after it. The blade dulled up by halfway through and I kept going. The saw was running hot and I figured both it and I needed a break so I cooled it down for a few minutes and went back to it and the saw stalled.

It was running for about 5-10 seconds per start for a few starts. I figured I would try it again after a long cool down and now I cant get it to start at all... Where do I begin? Thanks for the help!

Rings

Top of Cylinder
even a 028 will let ya know when it's had enough.....unstick and de carbon rings and go.....good luck

Its alive!

I cleaned the carb and installed a new carb kit. I got it fired up and adjusted.

For a few starts it would idle and throttle up well but once warmed up while idling it would rev up, the chain would spin and then it would stall. After a few runs its now running solid.

The piston clearance is good without a gasket.

I appreciate all the help you guys have given me. I still haven't put it to wood yet, but Ill get back with another update when I do.

Thanks again!
Jon

Its alive!

I cleaned the carb and installed a new carb kit. I got it fired up and adjusted.

For a few starts it would idle and throttle up well but once warmed up while idling it would rev up, the chain would spin and then it would stall. After a few runs its now running solid.

The piston clearance is good without a gasket.

I appreciate all the help you guys have given me. I still haven't put it to wood yet, but Ill get back with another update when I do.

Thanks again!
Jon
Good job!

Well I took the saw out to the woods and took down a tree. Its running great but seems like its running hotter than before.
When I was cutting in with the saw sideways it was giving off enough heat that it was hard to keep my hand on the handle for longer than maybe 30 seconds.

Anyone have an idea why it would be so hot now compared to before? RPMs too high?
If i point an IR thermometer at a hot cylinder what temp should it be at approximately?
What temp is overheat?

Latest posts

Back