stihl 029 bogging down,HELP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom john

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hope someone can help me my stihl 029 is bogging down when cutting I put new carb and fuel pick up on and keep it sharp can someone help me with this matter,and new plug.could it be a coil or stopped up muffler?Please help already spent alot of money on this thing don't want to give up now and don't say buy a husky lol.

every o29 i own does the same exact thing. and just stops running when it wants to., and is a total beyotch to restart. i ay throw it in the trash lol. no im messing. the exuast port probly could use a cleaning. possibly the muffler to. new air filter. and ull be in buiesness

Muffler screen plugged up?

Maybe the rings are on their way out, how may hours on the saw? how is the compression?

stihl

From my experience with stihl saws, I would remove the exhaust screen. I always remove mine whne brand new, I also polish up the exhaut port a bit and run premium fuel.

I have been running without screens for a couple years, no fires, nothing ever got sucked in and dammaged the engine. One time a mouse left a bunch of seeds and turds in my 066 muffler, but that about it. But if your cutting crown land you might want to check the regulations.

One other thing to check is the tank vent, next time the saw starts to bog, put it on it's side and loosen the gas cap, if the problem goes away you have found what to fix.

My 029 used to bog down too, then I discovered yellow chain. End of problem.

Muffler screen plugged up?

Maybe the rings are on their way out, how may hours on the saw? how is the compression?

The saw is about 3 years old but the compression is good but I have noticed that it is alot quiter than my other smaller tree trimming saws though

every o29 i own does the same exact thing. and just stops running when it wants to., and is a total beyotch to restart. i ay throw it in the trash lol. no im messing. the exuast port probly could use a cleaning. possibly the muffler to. new air filter. and ull be in buiesness

What would be the best way to clean the exaust port with carb. cleaner?
Thanks everbody for the advise I will try these things and let you all know if they work.you all are better than a repair shop. thanks again.

Latest posts

Back