Stihl 029av to 039 conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys you all have provided me with a ton of great information this is exactly what I was looking for.

What's the max bar I can run on a 039 convert?

You can run a 24/25" but it likes a 20" best. I've run up to 30" and it oiled it adequately but that was for a limited amount of cuts doing tornado cleanup. I would not recommend anything over a 25". (the Stihl 25" is the same as the 24" in other brands)

Thanks guys you all have provided me with a ton of great information this is exactly what I was looking for.

one thing hasn't been mentioned. be careful to document the way the ignition wiring is run between the module, control lever and the ground on the cylinder. take pictures if you can. there's an extra wire in the harness that isn't connected to anything. you can spend hours head scratching. leave it to stihl to put an extra part in. regarding the bar stud that has to come out, easiest way i have found is to take it out with a vice grips, quick and simple. buy a new stud to replace the one you boogered up. they don't cost much.

For awhile the cost of the 390 kits was kinda high but I bought one recently and the price wasn't bad, around $35 for aftermarket..
I just double nut the bar stud, tighten them together and remove it using the inner one, works every time for me...

I put the 039 engine together today, I don't remember those pistons being that difficult to get into the cylinder, had trouble getting the rings over the angled shoulder on the edge of the cylinder but I finally wrestled it in there. I took the cap off the saw so I could clean everything up better so I'm waiting for the Dirko to dry before bolting it back in. I used the mounting bolts to hold it together plus a 1" spacer because the mounting bolt was too long of course. I'm in no hurry so I'll probably put it together tomorrow if everything works out so I can..

My neighbor runs a 25" on his 390, he's running 3/8 063 ga. because he found a roll of that kinda chain. I always run .050 on mine because it's easier to get. I have a little .063 chain but no bars to run it on..When I get mine done I'll probably run a 20" bar, at least for awhile. I first put 18 on here and measured it and it is a 20."

My neighbor runs a 25" on his 390, he's running 3/8 063 ga. because he found a roll of that kinda chain. I always run .050 on mine because it's easier to get. I have a little .063 chain but no bars to run it on..When I get mine done I'll probably run a 20" bar, at least for awhile. I first put 18 on here and measured it and it is a 20."
Definitely keep me posted on how it turns out, maybe some video of it in action

Definitely keep me posted on how it turns out, maybe some video of it in action
Mine isn't a conversion, I just put a new p/c in my 390 because the compression was only 90 when I checked it. I'll let you know how it runs when I'm done but I'm gonna have to get a lot more computer savvy before I learn how to put out a video.

I was a "Polished Aluminum" level Master Tech for years, but they ripped off my stripes when I turned into an
E-Bay, grey market cannibal.......... Luckily my last employer still uses the same password, so I can still connect to the mighty Stihl mothership and run serial numbers, look at the latest ipls and tech manuals.....

That's freakin awesome. How does one become a stihl tech? What does it pay? I'm just curious. Tool and die work gets monotonous after a while.

The pay is **** here in Ky. 2 cycle techs are treated like dung at the bigger dealerships, because the majority of the
equipment that they get around here sells for @ $150-$400 new, so their profitability for their labor for the shops,
pales in comparison to the techs that work on the $10,000 mowers, and the pay also reflects the same.

Latest posts

Back