Stihl 029av to 039 conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished putting my 390 together today and fueled it up. It took awhile to get the carb adjusted so it would run decently, tried another carb but it wouldn't idle using it. Put the original back on without doing anything to it and the saw ran but I'm not terribly impressed yet. I may go ahead and rebuild the carb in the near future then see how it does. I did take the top off the carb and it appeared clean but the diaphragm appeared a little stiff so I'm sure a kit would help it.

I finished putting my 390 together today and fueled it up. It took awhile to get the carb adjusted so it would run decently, tried another carb but it wouldn't idle using it. Put the original back on without doing anything to it and the saw ran but I'm not terribly impressed yet. I may go ahead and rebuild the carb in the near future then see how it does. I did take the top off the carb and it appeared clean but the diaphragm appeared a little stiff so I'm sure a kit would help it.
You pressure and vac test it?

You pressure and vac test it?
Not yet. I'm working on the carburetor right now. The diaphragm on top was pretty rigid and it seems to have trouble pumping fuel. The carb is soaking right now. Stores are closed right now, wait till tomorrow to get a kit. I'll take it out of the carb cleaner in a couple of hours..
I had trouble getting my 029 dialed in after I took it all apart and put it together. It required another carburetor. You just don't know much about these saws that you buy in a flea market but the price was right.

Talk to @Paragon Builder ... He can help you with an 044/046 carb for it.. direct fit. Once i get my 390 top up and at em, i'll be throwing the carb he sent me (thanks bud!!) on it to see how she flows...

Well, I had other problems with the 039, did a pressure test on it and it had a big leak. It also blew out the little nipple on the pulse hose and I can't find where it went. It came off the engine and the hose! I know I put it on there and those nipples are usually very hard to remove so I didn't bother checking it but I will in the future. Anyway, it sits apart, waiting on a few parts that I should have installed in the first place. I guess you live and learn. Tried to take a few shortcuts..

Well, I had other problems with the 039, did a pressure test on it and it had a big leak. It also blew out the little nipple on the pulse hose and I can't find where it went. It came off the engine and the hose! I know I put it on there and those nipples are usually very hard to remove so I didn't bother checking it but I will in the future. Anyway, it sits apart, waiting on a few parts that I should have installed in the first place. I guess you live and learn. Tried to take a few shortcuts..

Is it a little brass nipple?? Ive heard on A/M kits that the brass and jug metals dont fit well when under heat and pressure and they can cause a leak. Some locktite on that little sob just to be sure. Hope it didnt strip out on its way out. Ive done a bunch of those swaps and to this day forget a little piece here and there and have to backup my progress. It happens. If ya lost the nipple completely ive got a bunch of junk 039/390 top ends if ya want me to send ya my nipples :surprised3:

Impulse hoses brand new, seals, etc... what ya need??

~Moose

Thanks for the offer but I ordered a bunch of the nipples and several other parts a couple of days ago, have several engines but couldn't get one of the nipples out. I don't think they're screwed in, I think they are press fit. Apparently on this one the clearances weren't very tight. Yes, I'll Loctite the new ones in from now on. I also had another leak beside this, I think either the seals leaked or the Dirko wasn't good enough seal. I've set this saw aside for a week or two and am going to tackle my 361 next, it had a cracked fuel line, new one should be here by today or tomorrow.

Is it a little brass nipple?? Ive heard on A/M kits that the brass and jug metals dont fit well when under heat and pressure and they can cause a leak. Some locktite on that little sob just to be sure. Hope it didnt strip out on its way out. Ive done a bunch of those swaps and to this day forget a little piece here and there and have to backup my progress. It happens. If ya lost the nipple completely ive got a bunch of junk 039/390 top ends if ya want me to send ya my nipples :surprised3:

Impulse hoses brand new, seals, etc... what ya need??

~Moose
I'll buy a pair of seals and impulse, fuel line from ya for mine. I'll be ready to start tearing in to this week sometime. Shoot me a line and let me know what all ya got for one

Ill give ya a shout later on when i get back home to my shop. I got a box full o' sh1t for them swaps.. Seals, impulse and fuel line? Thats it? Ill dig around, should have all brand new for ya

[QUOTE="a. palmer jr., post: 5447978, me, have several engines but couldn't get one of the nipples out. I don't think they're screwed in, I think they are press fit. Apparently on this one the clearances weren't very tight. Yes, I'll Loctite the new ones in from now on. I also had another leak beside this, I think either the seals leaked or the Dirko wasn't good enough seal. I've set this saw aside for a week or two and am going to tackle my 361 next, it had a cracked fuel line, new one should be here by today or tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Yes, the nipples are pressed in. To remove them, find the correct size pin punch and drive them out from the inside. It's not difficult. Obviously, the cylinder has to be off the saw.

[QUOTE="a. palmer jr., post: 5447978, me, have several engines but couldn't get one of the nipples out. I don't think they're screwed in, I think they are press fit. Apparently on this one the clearances weren't very tight. Yes, I'll Loctite the new ones in from now on. I also had another leak beside this, I think either the seals leaked or the Dirko wasn't good enough seal. I've set this saw aside for a week or two and am going to tackle my 361 next, it had a cracked fuel line, new one should be here by today or tomorrow.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Yes, the nipples are pressed in. To remove them, find the correct size pin punch and drive them out from the inside. It's not difficult. Obviously, the cylinder has to be off the saw.[/QUOTE]
I have the correct punch pin...problem is like most other tools I seldom use, it's currently missing. I have a tool box that's got a bunch of stuff stacked in front of it and I think the punches are in it. Anyway, I ordered some of the nipples, doubt if I have any trouble pressing them in. I'll probably have to use the loctite or something to keep it in. I also have new impulse hoses ordered.

To insert the nipple, find something hollow like a small deep well socket so you are pounding (tapping) on the base of it instead of on the barb.

To insert the nipple, find something hollow like a small deep well socket so you are pounding (tapping) on the base of it instead of on the barb.
If it comes to that I will do it that way. I'm thinking it probably won't need to be pounded in because the other one just fell out but I'll find out when they get here. Do you have any recommendations for something to hold it in if it's too loose. Loctite, epoxy, super glue? I know epoxy loosens up when you heat it.

Loctite loses bonding strength at 350 I believe it is. I can't remember ignition temp right off the top though.

Clean up the jug and nipple, then smear some GB Weld on the nipple when you put it back in. It won't fall out again and it will be sealed.

I used a 460 carb on my 390 conversion. Just drill out the EPA low speed jet and its ready to go. The 460 carb has the larger 17.45mm venturi with the offset discharge nozzle. I got a Chinese copy from Ebay for A$20.

You may want to re-time the ignition timing. The stock 029 timing is in a range between 23.5 and 28.5 degrees BTDC. The manual says that the range is because of the variation in manufacturing tolerances (so much for German quality control..)

I used a 460 carb on my 390 conversion. Just drill out the EPA low speed jet and its ready to go. The 460 carb has the larger 17.45mm venturi with the offset discharge nozzle. I got a Chinese copy from ebay
Terry can you post a link to where you showed how to do this?

Latest posts

Back