Stihl 030AV - What to do with it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewaynep

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first new thread, lots of great reading over the past few months though. I puchased a Stihl 030AV at an auction and was wondering what to do with it. I started taking it apart last night and found the following: Top handle casing cracked (is the case aluminum or magnesium?), top AV mount busted (probably caused the case crack), spur sprocket shot - was using a 3/8LP .050 chain on a .058 hard nosed bar, Piston and Cylinder look great, no scoring. This thing runs great and since I only have an occasional use for a chainsaw I thought about putting it back together with a new AV mount and running it the way it is. This thing is in nice shape other than the crack. Should I even think about using it seeing as it has no chain brake? Should I part it out and continue using my safety laden Crapsman (I MIGHT cut 1 tree every 2 years)? Thanks.

sell it on e-bay and hope you make your money back

You're so full of help it's pathetic:chainsaw: . If you don't have anything to contribute, don't post.

The top is magnesium. You might be able to patch it on the bottom side with stainless screen and JBWeld. We'd need a pic to know if a new AV mount would be sufficient.

You need the bar and chain to match. Otherwise it's liable to cut crooked and quit cutting once the chain binds.

There's not much chance I'd get my money back on it, but it might be nice to have to use for my occasional cutting. I think I'm going to get the top AV mount, a bar and chain and use it until it dies. I did see a few closed E-bay auctions with the top covers for cheap. In searching e-bay, it appears as though these aren't real desirable? Is that because they are a poor performer or because it doesn't have a chain brake?

I have an 031 which i believe is about the same saw just the consumer grade. they are good saws but you cant really get much in parts for them from the dealer.

my saw needs a coil and the dealer told me i am basically out of luck.

Back