stihl 031 av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i think i figured out the problem its getting fuel and spark when the plug is out and it has good compression ,but is it true that bad coils will not spark under compression?:chainsawguy: :rocker:

that is a new one top me, you sure it is not flooding?
i had that problem with an 041, tooo much fuel is not good.
replace the carb, and it works fine.

no its not flooding because i tried making sure it was completely dry of fuel and i put some in the cylinder and it still didnt fire

Mine is still sitting on the bench, I need to do some Dremel work to the threads on the inside of the flywheel to clean them up, and then I am taking it to my local dealer and have him zip the flywheel off. Heck, between mine and ManOSteele's we should be able to get at least one runner.

no its not flooding because i tried making sure it was completely dry of fuel and i put some in the cylinder and it still didnt fire

it only has to be a mist amount, otherwise it can be tooo much. will not work if you pour fuel into the cylinder.

Ha! It's not the tools, it's the tool that uses them!

In Shop class in highschool we watched cartoon movies of a fella called Primitive Pete. He looked cavemanish and misused tools. I work with alot of friends from school and call each other that name when tools are abused or machines abused by "tools" as you say.:)

it only has to be a mist amount, otherwise it can be tooo much. will not work if you pour fuel into the cylinder.

ok i put only drop in the cylinder and it still didnt fire its only getting a mist amount from the carb but it still doesent fire im about ready to get rid of this damn thing i need a new saw o and does anyone want any 041 farmboss parts?

Mine is still sitting on the bench, I need to do some Dremel work to the threads on the inside of the flywheel to clean them up, and then I am taking it to my local dealer and have him zip the flywheel off. Heck, between mine and ManOSteele's we should be able to get at least one runner.

maybe ill selll u mine or trade????

Where in Michigan are you manostihl? If your near Ann Arbor, you are welcome to try my spare carb. That would at least narrow down your problem. Also, have you tried one of those spark plug testers (in-line light that goes between the spark plug and plug wire? That should tell you if you are loosing spark.

Are you parting out the 041?

-John

manostihl,

I too inherited a Stihl 031AV from my dad and I can say that it is just as good as the day he bought it 30 years ago with one exception, I weighs more that it did when I used to cut with it 30 years ago! Once you get it sorted out you will have a fine saw, don't give up on it!

Where in Michigan are you manostihl? If your near Ann Arbor, you are welcome to try my spare carb. That would at least narrow down your problem. Also, have you tried one of those spark plug testers (in-line light that goes between the spark plug and plug wire? That should tell you if you are loosing spark.

Are you parting out the 041?

-John

well JohnO i live in between chesaning and montrose so im not really near ann arbor ,but no i havent tried 1 of those spark plug testers ill try it , and yeah i was thinkin about partin the 041 out but it has a bad oil pump and has no handle cover

manostihl,

I too inherited a Stihl 031AV from my dad and I can say that it is just as good as the day he bought it 30 years ago with one exception, I weighs more that it did when I used to cut with it 30 years ago! Once you get it sorted out you will have a fine saw, don't give up on it!

well can u tell me how many ccs it is and if it will pull a 20 inch bar good because thats all i have for it

To tell the truth, I don't know how many cc's the 031av is, but I am sure that there are those here who do. If I were to guess I would think that it is maybe around 60 cc's. I have been told that they have good torque so they may not have a problem with a 20" bar, mine has a 16" bar and always has. I never did stick it when cutting hedge from dozer piles when I was younger, but we were only cutting about 12" diameter stuff maximum. I would install what you have a test it to find out. Good luck!

The 031 is around 50cc's, and is typically run with a 16-20" bar. I usually run mine with a 20", mainly for extra reach. The 041 is around 60cc's, and is a little better suited for the 20" in hardwood, but either will work.

-John

well ill prolly be partin out the 041 here soon and i dont even know wat to do with my 031

Hey manostihl, I can trade you my 031 for your Homelite 360. I got a 360 I've been trying to get running for awhile but it has some igniton/electrical issues. Let me know what ya think.

Hey manostihl, I can trade you my 031 for your Homelite 360. I got a 360 I've been trying to get running for awhile but it has some igniton/electrical issues. Let me know what ya think.

show me some pics and wat size bar and chain u got and ill consider it

Latest posts

Back