Stihl 031av chain saw points setting/cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a OEM Walbro for 6.00 with ship.

what do I need to remove to change the impulse tube, I have the carb off now and I'm not sure what else needs to be removed.

I found a OEM Walbro for 6.00 with ship.

what do I need to remove to change the impulse tube, I have the carb off now and I'm not sure what else needs to be removed.

I'll bet you can get that kit from NAPA. It's amazing what they have. You wouldn't have to wait on shipping. Just a thought.

Sorry, can't be much help on the second question, as it's been too long since I've seen the innards of a 031 and I don't have it pictured in my mind. However, you will have to trace that impulse line back to the crankcase and find where it connects. Should be pretty easy to thread a new one through once the old one is out. It is best to use the correct black impulse hose from Stihl, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy some tygon from NAPA to make a new one, even if it is a temporary fix. They have all diffferent diameters. The only risk you face is that the incorrect line may collapse when it gets real hot, and by then you will be an expert at replacing it. Haha!

Bob

#1 remove intake sleeve ( the round hicky-do inside the rubber int. boot)
#2 push the intake boot thru the carb box
This should allow the carb box to come free and you will then see where the impulse line attaches to the cylinder.

Yeah, that's what I use (tygon) fuel line. So far it's worked great for me and it's like 1.00 per ft.

Is it possible to remove the tank fuel line through the sparkplug cover hole?

Also is the spark plug gap of 0.05mm = .020 thous of an inch?

Last edited:
Is it possible to remove the tank fuel line through the sparkplug cover hole?

Also is the spark plug gap of 0.05mm = .020 thous of an inch?

I would take the gas tank off the saw to replace the in-tank line and filter. Should be only four screws.

Yep, spark plug gap is .020

BTW if you want to see a pristine looking 031AV check out the thread a guy put up just today or maybe yesterday called "Stihl 031 restoration" in the picture forum. He had it powder coated,,,,,,,,,,,says he has a thousand bucks in that saw,,,,whew!!!!

Bob

I used black wind shield wiper hose for my impulse line and went to a hobby shop and got some yellow R.C. airplane fuel line for the carb to the tank elbow.

Used a wima capacitor and kept the points. Tachs at 14K, so I richened it up. I have $20 in this saw, not counting some J.B. weld that was already open.

Cuts great, 18" , 3/8pitch 66 link chain.

Chainsawr Your Shopping Cart

Has some parts but some are $$$$

The carb kit came in today and I have the saw running now. Just need to make adjustments, the one question I have is that the fuel needle doesnt have an adjustment in the service manual. From what I've seen on you tube there is a walbro tool for this. The carb is a WA , if anyone can help me with this question that would be great.

Also is there a chain oil that looks like red transmission fluid?

The inlet needle metering lever needs to be level with the body of the carburetor. Just hold the needle end stationary and bend the lever up or down until it is level with the surrounding body of the carburetor using the tip of a small screwdriver. That doesn't mean level with the outside raised edge where the cover contacts.

I have never heard of bar oil that is red like transmission fluid.

Bob

The carb I have has a metal plate with one screw in it. it's just a tad/hair over that plate, so should I be good? Also will the bar chain from my 026 saw fit the 031av?

bar/chain etc...

The carb I have has a metal plate with one screw in it. it's just a tad/hair over that plate, so should I be good? Also will the bar chain from my 026 saw fit the 031av?

bar & chain will fit if size is 3/8pitch x.50 gauge. (likely size for 031?)
Make sure metering is set even with carb body, not the top edge.

Latest posts

Back