Stihl 031AV sprucin' up?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To get the old condenser out I've used needle nose pliers, drill bit, a sharp pointy object tapped into the condenser at an angle to pry with, what ever will work basically. They are press fit into place, but thin walled and lightly constructed. So once you damage them a little they usually come out without a problem. If you go that route.

To get the old condenser out I've used needle nose pliers, drill bit, a sharp pointy object tapped into the condenser at an angle to pry with, what ever will work basically. They are press fit into place, but thin walled and lightly constructed. So once you damage them a little they usually come out without a problem. If you go that route.

Local shop had an 032AV Electronic so thought I'd look and see if I could just change flywheels, I think I remember someone saying to replace my flywheel with one from a 31 or 32 with electronic ignition, I took the cover off the 032 and absolutely nothing was the same as my saw. Flywheel was the newer plastic pawl type, so I thought change the whole side, gas tank and all, well gas tank isn't the same either, different rear handle, so I just put the 32 back where I got it. Guess I need an 031AVE flywheel. Or change it back to points as was mentioned. I'll try to find a flywheel first...

Thanks for the info on the condenser.

What I've read on here and from other sites selling that module is that it will not work on an 031 with points, due to timing differences. It is supposed to work on the 031AVE, you could also swap to an AVE flywheel and use it. Atom used to make a special module for the points-equipped 031 but they don't seem to be around anymore.

I wonder if I could remove the flywheel key and play with the timing, probably need to advance the timing a little?

Last edited:
Update: I removed the flywheel (again) and marked where it was on crank, moved it up about 20 degrees from where it was, tightened it up real tight, gave the starter a big pull and....pulled the rope in two! Took the starter apart, put a new rope in and tried again. Bingo! It ran as good as my other saw which has points. I'm positive this saw could be tuned for even better performance but I'm willing to leave well enough alone, at least for now. Seems like this saw with the short bar sure makes a mess where it's been sitting. I wonder which way you turn the screw to make it oil less? It's got a little sign language thing on the bottom and if it's what I think it is the thing is already oiling at the minimum.

031 carb rebuild kit #

I have an 031 with a walbro carb. I need a rebuild kit but went to my stihl dealer and he said there is not a kit. I see you guys saying there is. What is the number for the kit. Thanks

K10-WAT should be correct. Surprising that your dealer said there wasn't one, I picked up a kit for mine at my Stihl dealer earlier this year. Maybe they aren't distributed by Stihl anymore, but there are both Walbro OEM and aftermarket kits out there for the WA2C.

Latest posts

Back