Stihl 034 Oil Leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jollyroger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have picked up a new to me, but used, stihl 034AV. It leaks a fair amount (small puddle) of oil over a 24 hr period. It leaks from the bar side, definately not the oil cap. I cannot seem to figure out where it is coming from. Any thoughts?

Hey my 034 did the same thing....it was the oiler tube between the pump and the oil port at the bar. gotta pull the clutch to get at all the parts. it's a place to check, im sure others will be able to add more input. :cheers:

If all the hoses and connections check out ok then a lot of leakage can be slowed or nearly stopped by just turning the saw up on its side with the filler cap facing up and loosen the cap to let out the expanded air inside the tank just before putting the saw in its storage spot. This relieves the pressure built up in the tank and also helps stop a lot of oil leakage.
Pioneerguy600

You might want to check and see the oil pump screws are snug. I have had a saw that leak between the pump and the rubber pickup hose.

i have an 036 doing the same thing.

i replaced the tube from the pump to the bar mount.it did have a hole.it helped a lot but i think the piece for the pickup needs to be replaced as well.

Looks like it is leaking around the lower part of the pump. Is the oil tank pressurized during operation? This would explain the increase in leakage during while cutting.

Back