Stihl 034 with 160 psi

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bootsie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, here is the deal. I recently bought a 034 that looked to be in great shape. I received it and it is in great shape. I bought it with the soul purpose of selling it. I found out that it was straight gased. I removed the muffler and there is some streaking but nothing that I would consider scoring. I tested it and had 160 psi and it held. I really do not want to burn anyone. Is the 160 psi good? Or should I strip it hone it and put in new rings? It runs like a champ.

Usually the big end connecting rod bearing (crankpin bearing) gets destroyed when straight gassed. I'd be surprised if the crank weren't ruined.:cry:

What makes you so sure that it was straight gassed? Just because there is some scoring on the piston is not indicative of having run straight gas. Besides, 160psi is darn near what the saw would have new! Just my .02,
Gatsby

Pics

I finally cleaned it up and took some pics. Thanks for the feed back guys. I am still learning the ins and outs of good saws. I thought 160 was good. I was told it there was a possibility of it being straight gassed. I only paid 71.77 Canadian $ for the power head and an old bar. Can someone decode this serial# for me 243103000

Last edited:
I thought it was a good deal. Can anyone decipher that serial# in my previous post.

Last edited:
Usually the big end connecting rod bearing (crankpin bearing) gets destroyed when straight gassed. I'd be surprised if the crank weren't ruined.:cry:

Not true. The crank is usually fine. Rarely a problem.

If there is scoring on the piston and it wasn't disclosed to me in the add, I wold be upset. I find it hard to believe that it was straight gassed, has some scoring, and still makes 160 psi. That just shouldn't be. Maybe it wasn't straight gassed???

I was told it was a possibility that it had been. But with 160 psi I am starting to think that maybe it did not happen.

Last edited:
The serial number comes back invalid. If the saw is from Canada then I could not get anything on it anyway.

Great looking saw.

It sure doesn't look like that saw was run a lot. Mine has some discoloring on the top of the clutch cover, right where the exhaust vents out the side. Your's is clean as a whip. Looks really good for it's age.

Back