stihl 034

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoda

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have a 034 that is old and need a good rebuild i think, what i want to know is do i rebuild this one or buy something new, it still runs but just real hard to start once it is started it starts fine for the rest of the day, would like to rebuild it or buy something that is equilivant,

I also have an 034 av that I just recently got. I am trying to find a good piston and rings for it. Someone tortured it with straight gas. I can't wait to get it together and run it since I just opened up the intake and exhaust on it. I will set the squish to .020. I also opened up the transfers a little. Damn I can't wait to use it.:biggrinbounce2: Steve

Off hand it sounds like a fuel issue rather than a compression issue.Maybe carburetor needs to be adjusted. You would have to test compression to see if you need rings.:cheers:

Why dont you just use the "force" to cut wood. Its surely more powerful than an 034. I couldnt resist ,I tried but couldnt. Hehe :)

Why dont you just use the "force" to cut wood. Its surely more powerful than an 034. I couldnt resist ,I tried but couldnt. Hehe :)

Said the Wookie...er, wait, my bad, Rookie.:greenchainsaw:

Mr. HE:cool:

My old 034 has been with me for 5 years. About 11 cords a year. Stihl great compression. As long as good compression or you don't mind rebuilding, it should last longer than you (and me).

Last edited:
My old 034 has been with me for 5 years. About 11 cords a year. Stihl great compression. As long as good compression or you don't mind rebuilding, it should last longer than you (and me).

I :agree2: If a $5 carb kit gets you some more years out of the old work horse that's a lot cheaper than a new saw. While you are at it check all the fuel lines. It don't cost much to replace them if there hard or it may have a pin hole in one. Pulse line to.

Off hand it sounds like a fuel issue rather than a compression issue.Maybe carburetor needs to be adjusted. You would have to test compression to see if you need rings.:cheers:

:agree2: Maybe the best thing is to look over the whole fuel system- carb, hoses, intake etc. If it's kind of hard to pull over the compression is probably ok. And an 034 is as good 55-60cc saw ever made...

i think 036 360 top ends bolt on the 034, might need the muffler to atleast i think thats now it goes

I :agree2: If a $5 carb kit gets you some more years out of the old work horse that's a lot cheaper than a new saw. While you are at it check all the fuel lines. It don't cost much to replace them if there hard or it may have a pin hole in one. Pulse line to.

+1 Definetly replace fuel and impulse line. That can drive a person nuts, and it describes the problem Yoda posted. Been there before!

How does it start now ?
Just about every 034 I used was a little tricky getting the choke to fully close and that makes them hard starting cold unless you know the trick or tricks. For some reason lifting the air filter cover up off the bottom of the air box or taking it off often remedies it, some may take a little more pressure on the choke rod also. Warm usually do not need to do all that. Its a minor inconveniance to me as well as tapping the sawdust out of the air cleaner when fueling but its worth the effort for the solid reliable performance and handling of the 034.

Hard starting may only require a small adjustment of the L screw on the carb, not necessarily a full rebuild of the carb.

How does it start now ?
Just about every 034 I used was a little tricky getting the choke to fully close and that makes them hard starting cold unless you know the trick or tricks. For some reason lifting the air filter cover up off the bottom of the air box or taking it off often remedies it, some may take a little more pressure on the choke rod also. Warm usually do not need to do all that. Its a minor inconveniance to me as well as tapping the sawdust out of the air cleaner when fueling but its worth the effort for the solid reliable performance and handling of the 034.

Very good point!!! I cant believe I didnt think of that. I have had problems with the choke rod on almost every 034 or 036 I have worked on or owned. I have reshaped a few to make it work right, and some like you stated, lift the filter base and it worked as well.

That design had problems with the choke rod closing the choke butterfly. That could be a big part of the problem.

Steve - I just rebuilt an 034 for a friend on Sunday using an Episan piston from Dandikrop on eBay - cost me barely under $50 CDN shipping included, and was here in about a week and a half. I was quite impressed with it - I compared it side-by-side to the scored OEM piston and it was all but identical in every way. It did have some slightly rougher casting lines in the windows & around the pin bosses, but a minute with the Dremel cleaned that up nicely. I did open the windows up a little bit while I was at it, but not a whole lot since it wasn't my saw. I stuck with the OEM pin & circlips, all of which fit up perfectly. My only (small) complaint is that the listing has photos of a Meteor piston & box, though the fine print doesn't guarantee that. I have no problems with what I received though.

For the money vs. OEM, I'm quite happy with the quality and performance of it. After a tank and a half, it's blowing 160 PSI @ 3000' elevation. I set the squish at a little wider .026 for a bit of added safety. At first it was wanting to idle low or stall if tipped forward with the bar pointed straight at the ground, but that seems to have worked out now. I'd never cut with an 034 before, but I took this one out today to run another tank through it for break-in and was really happy with its performance. I was cutting ~8-10" Douglas Fir and it felt every bit as fast as my 371 in smaller wood like that. I also buried the 20" bar in more D. Fir both in rip cuts and crosscuts and it pulled that very well too. FWIW it's wearing 3/8 semi-skip chain.

Back