Stihl 034AV compression release retrofit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampy666

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I use a Stihl 034AV powerhead for my better-built RIPSAW bandsaw mill. It's totally adequate for the job but it's a PITA to start. On more than one occasion, it yanks the starter handle right out of my hands or the starter rope pulls right through the handle. The starter rope also doesn't fully retract all the time until the saw is started and running. My current cold-start procedure is to set the choke on full, pull the starter rope out slowly to its full extension a couple of times to get things moving, then retract the rope and pull gently until the pawls engage, then give short, hard yanks until it catches, then set part-choke and repeat until start.

I've read that the Stihl 036 has a compression release feature for this issue and wondering if it's possible or feasible to retrofit to the 034 with off-the-shelf parts? Or do I essentially have to swap over an entire
036 head/block/engine?

As far as I know 034 jugs never had a boss for a decomp. Your best bet will be to find an 036 or 360 top end with a decomp.

I'd be surprised if a machinist couldn't fit one to your existing cylinder. It sounds like you've got some other issues that need to be addressed.

I suspect the machining time would cost more than purchasing a new 036 Meteor piston and cylinder fitted for a compression release.
My 034S has similar cold starting quirks, but hot starts are generally just fine.
I treat it like a big saw, my foot on the handle plate and a strong steady pull.
Trying to crotch start it might have me singing soprano.

I'd be surprised if a machinist couldn't fit one to your existing cylinder. It sounds like you've got some other issues that need to be addressed.

could definitely be other issues. I've seen some threads on 034 issues, so I'll look into those

As far as I know 034 jugs never had a boss for a decomp. Your best bet will be to find an 036 or 360 top end with a decomp.

kinda what I thought
I suspect the machining time would cost more than purchasing a new 036 Meteor piston and cylinder fitted for a compression release.
My 034S has similar cold starting quirks, but hot starts are generally just fine.
I treat it like a big saw, my foot on the handle plate and a strong steady pull.
Trying to crotch start it might have me singing soprano.

my experience and procedure exactly. don't really want to hold a 45 pound mill and saw with one hand and crotch start:crazy:

thanks!

If you put a want ad in the post I bet a good used 036 ad with decomp could be had. Meteor piston. I bet you could swap it over for less than $100 in parts.

When cold, try pulling with the switch set to STOP until the engine does several revs each pull - should be easier to start after that. For cold starts I also use some primer fuel or spray WD 40 through the carb bore. Once warmed up they usually start easy for the rest of the day. One of the problems these saws have (but that I can live with) is the choke mechanism which often does not close 100%. Can be seen between filter and carb or with the filter removed. On one of mine I have to close the choke by hand.

Make sure you didn’t shear the flywheel key and inadvertently advance ignition timing.

An 034 shouldn’t be that difficult to start. If the saw is firing before TDC it will rip the cord from your hand.

Other things to consider are a short starter rope. It will create a smaller pulley in effect.

The 034 jugs do have a cast in decomp boss on the side, kinda like a Husky. I bet it could be carefully drilled and tapped.

I’ve got an extra 034 jug here if you want to try it.

Back