Stihl 036 Pro carb questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatchin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Rebuilding the carb to my $25 burnt up 036 purchase.

When i took of the top flat plate of the carb, i found on the inside of the plate, that the two pockets (top and right side) with the small dia. holes leading to exterior of carb, were filled with fine flakes of sawdust and gunk. Is this build up of sawdust/gunk in the carb from the previous owner neglecting to clean inside the air box? The filter/screen in the carb is clean, as the rest of the inside of carb is clean-ish.

It definatly was a neglected saw-air filter never cleaned, clutch cover never takin off to clean out the clutch area, completly caked up, crapped up saw when i got it; and bar, chain, sprocket, drum were prolly never even thought of being looked at.

Second question-Is this saw recent enough to have limiter caps, or the sort? the Hi and Lo jet screws have the clearish with plast base going around them and then the red and white caps on the jet screw heads. the caps on the heads have tabs that make contact with oppostite screw, coming off the side to prevent the screw turning no more than 3/4 turn or so either direction. Is this something to worry about...meaning if they are the limiter caps, do the tabs need to be snipped off to allow better tuning?

Thanks for any help yall maybe able to offer, If ya have questions as far as to what im saying-let me know and i'll try to clarify

The sawdust can keep the impulse from the crankcase from flexing the diaphragm, e.g. no/not enough fuel getting pumped. Don't rip anything and it will be fine minus the crud. Might want to check out rest of carb while it's apart. Just remember how it comes apart.

A thought; Has this caused a lean condition before the saw dies, maybe cause lean fuel/air damage in some saws???

I got the 036 rebuild kit from Bailey's for myself for christmas along with $200 worth of other parts and chains and bars LOL

I've already got it all put back together with the new internals. sprayed the carb out and the covers off good with Carb cleaner, let it dry, and put it all back together with no extra parts LOL...i cheated and took pictures with my digital camera each step of takin it apart...had to refer to them a couple times haha.

This saw has not been started by myself yet...came with piston fried but was able to save the jug by useing muratic acid, and honed the cylinder to a shiny finish. Now i gotta order gold-laced OEM Stihl parts...freaking $33 for the damn air filter...anybody know who carries aftermarket 036 pro airfilters?-Baily's doesnt.

ok thanks.

If i want to atempt to clean up the old one...its pretty crusty...do i just wanna soak it with dawn dishsoap and wash it a couple times like that?

white gas? you talking bout straight gas?

E.G. coleman fuel/stove fuel. It's a lot easier on the skin and lungs to work with but more $$$.

Gas will work too but not as nice to work with.

You can rinse with some isopropanol to speed up drying but don't run the saw until it's evaporated. I leave them in the sun in the summer and next to the woodstove in winter.

gotchya. I've got Coleman's fuel already-actually been trying to find a way to "constructively" use up the little bit i got left....other than use it to light up the bon fires LOL

gotchya. I've got Coleman's fuel already-actually been trying to find a way to "constructively" use up the little bit i got left....other than use it to light up the bon fires LOL

Save it. It is relatively non-toxic and a good cleaner.

For bon fires, a mix of drain oil, old mix, old fuels (whatever).

Pour it in the brush pile, invite friends with fowlers, when the rabbits run the fun begins!

When it burns down, have the rabbits. and/or a nice roast ready to go. Put some potatoes, carrots, onions into the mix.

Serve with some homemade hard cider!

haha how do you know our rabbit hunting strategies LOL? going rabbit hunting next saturday with my friends that graduated from school last year...gonna be some rabbit fries going on later :clap:

any takers on my second question on orginal post dealing with the caps on the HI, LO jet screws?

not trying to be pushy but curious if i would gain any tuning benifits from snipping the tabs off?

Back