Stihl 036 pro crankshaft play

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordsoll

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am planning a rebuild on my stihl 036 that i got for free because the compression is only 100 and it has a knock when I turn the engine over without the spark plug when I noticed that I took off the clutch drum and moved the shaft and it had quite a bit of play and even the flywheel was moving up and down. I cant take it apart right now because I dont have the proper torx screwdriver but what are the chances that the crankshaft needs a replacement and if so would it even be worth it?

If the rod bearing is ok you can reuse the crank. If not a OEM crank is quite expensive. You could also look for a good used crank if needed. That saw is definitely worth rebuilding. The 036 is one of Stihl’s best 60cc saws.

See if the connecting rod tilts from side to side more than maybe a couple of degrees to see if the big end bearing is useable. If not you can likely just replace the crank bearings. If you have never split a case be prepared for a learning experience.

I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I have had some Chinese crankshafts out there running for years.

Ok thanks this is my first time rebuilding a chainsaw engine but will I need a case splitter? I have a shop press if i can use that instead. Main bearings dont seem that expensive I found a Rebuild kit for this on amazon but I am not sure of the quality of it I dont want to have to rebuild it every year.

Ok so I split the crankcases today I used a few nuts and two bolts to push the crankcase apart. There were balls missing in the bearing so obviously that is where the crankshaft play was coming from. The crankshaft looks good other than that a circle worn into it I assume a ball bearing was rubbing against it for a while but it is a perfect circle would this have an effect on how the chainsaw runs? The connecting rod bearing is also good it has no up and down play.

Ok so I split the crankcases today I used a few nuts and two bolts to push the crankcase apart. There were balls missing in the bearing so obviously that is where the crankshaft play was coming from. The crankshaft looks good other than that a circle worn into it I assume a ball bearing was rubbing against it for a while but it is a perfect circle would this have an effect on how the chainsaw runs? The connecting rod bearing is also good it has no up and down play.
Pic of the wear on the crank?

Do you have a picture of how you split it? Needing to do this on a ms260 sometime (it’s been sitting for a year or more). I’m aware of the stihl tool but hoping to go your route (or similar).

Back